Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good value Laptop?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The good old Dell notebook is on the way out after about 8 Years reliable service aside from 1 crash we don't need to mention..

Want a new reliable machine with a decent size screen, 15 inch minimum that will do everything people need to do at home.
The usual ports plus whatever else is worth having ?? I've seen then in various catalogs from $400 - $2000 but i doubt we need anything over a grand.

Any good brands to stick to?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Dell is still alright. If you get onsite warranty you will be laughing. They are all much of a muchness now anyway the only difference is the after sales support/warranty.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
lenovo yoga series, mines been chucked around cars with tuning and used every day for work, very handy that it can fold right over and be used as a touch screen tablet, good battery life, 4k screen is nice to. Tough as, i can't believe i havn't cracked the screen.

In the last 6 months both servers and workstations/laptops with dell have been woeful at work we have a few hundred, i wouldn't touch anything dell atm, quality is going down.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Lenovo are generally built fairly sturdy but if you have warranty work. Yeah pass. I was a contract technician for Lenovo, HP and Dell and yeah. Lenovo was woeful

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Before 2014 lenovo was what dell is now i wouldn't have touched them at all, Since lenovo got Motorola they've up'd the game. But yeh if you only plan on keeping it for the warranty period then sus out who has the best support in your area.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've been using a Lenovo at work for the last three and a half years with no problem so far and it isn't the newest of laptops either. All of our work laptops are Lenovo.

Before I purchased two for home a few months ago I got our IT guys' thoughts and they had no problems with them at all so off to the store I went.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Dell (well desktops) were just left over bits n pieces from other manufactures.. so didnt really no what was in there.. not sure if this is still the case.. lenovo is okaaay if you have to go there.. HP warranty is OK as is Toshiba..

With laptops don't get in the hard drive/memory hype, these can always be changed.. try and buy the best processor (Gen 6, i7) that you can afford.. The screen size you want is pretty standard now adays.. 15.4" - is weight a factor as well?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had two very bad experiences with dell in 2013. Not sure whether software or hardware was to blame, but I ended up getting my money back and buying a couple of hp's instead and they've been fine for over 3 years.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
The good old Dell notebook is on the way out after about 8 Years reliable service aside from 1 crash we don't need to mention..

Want a new reliable machine with a decent size screen, 15 inch minimum that will do everything people need to do at home.
The usual ports plus whatever else is worth having ?? I've seen then in various catalogs from $400 - $2000 but i doubt we need anything over a grand.

Any good brands to stick to?

get another DELL
we use 'em at work (have several hundred on the register).. they just work give no grief (with Win 7)

personally, I (and several family members) have HP (with both Win7 and Win10).. they just work no issues

ps.. I am typing this on my new work laptop..it is a DELL of course :)