Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye... Holden :(

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Went past City Holden at Mile End today...It is now City Kia...

The new City Holden site that was being built prior to Holden disappearing is now an LVD dealership....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I suspect Mooney was bought in to shut it down but he was always a fcukup and even managed to fcuk that up. It's very clear the moment they sold Opel that GM was bailing out of RHD world wide as it only left the Thai built Colorado as a meaningful RHD model from within the fold. Put simply, as soon as PSA took over it was plain as day Holden had no pipeline of new product and were doomed.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Good read from Leo Pruneau about what he thinks about modern car shapes.

Simple reason cars have become so ugly - but it wasn't always this way (msn.com)

To be honest, it kind of reads like an old man ranting at clouds. Its all the fault of young people on their new fangled computers, apparently you "just feed anything into it and the computer kind of sorts it out". It smacks of someone who did a great job using to the tools of the age, but doesn't like how things have moved on. I bet there are ex-accountants out there who moan about Excel.

I can understand the passion for designing by hand, then adjusting physically by clay. You can see and feel it forming, its a very romantic image. I've read some interesting pieces by other designers that shaping surfaces can be tricky in the computer vs physical models, but clay models are still used, they just do the basics via CAD then fine tune.

However while there are lots of bland cars out there, there are some great and interesting designs out there, especially with the advances in metals to allow deep single piece pressings has really allowed designers to get some great shapes.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
he also conveniently forgets that designers are working within the contraints of what manufacturers want from vehicles now.

aero, platforms, multiple brands just to name three.

i mean he should know this he was part of the era that copy pasta'd work from the UK to Aus with minor localisation changes and panel and design re-use.

talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

i agree, "old man yells at cloud" indeed - the youth want "different" and in the same breath "all cars look the same".

lol

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^ ............ It wasn't so much, to me about CAD v clay, but the general design of current cars, and the need for convoluted shapes..

The majority of new SUVs, (and they do all look the same) appear to have been attacked by vandals and had their doors kicked in, the tail-lights stolen and replaced with something from another brand that doesn't fit.

Anyhow, I going outside to abuse the rain. :mad:

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
I don't see what's so different between now and then. Cars go through general stylistic changes throughout the eras. At the moment we're in an Audi-esque(ever since they designed their aggressive looking grill and bumper) phase.

You look back on the eras with rose tinted glasses and all you see are the models that stand the test of time... but you don't look at the general consumer cars of the era...

For the record, I just googled "walmart parking lot 19xx".

4bb4fd9dac76516f0ed749b25db33284.jpg

Parking-lot-Austin.png

Vintage-Walmart-stores-from-the-late-70s-3-750x500.jpg

b88328168z1_20160916094918_000ge2al5ch2-0-6amf4qyn30n02zefwm2_fct1896x1153_t1880.jpg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The only slack I cut him is for the HQ Monaro, I mean that is a straight up classic.

I'm not a fan of the WB Statesman though, so they almost cancel each other out.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Good read from Leo Pruneau about what he thinks about modern car shapes.

Simple reason cars have become so ugly - but it wasn't always this way (msn.com)

I admire Leo and his talents immensely but disagree with him on this. Wheel thru any era you choose and there are no end of ho-humm designs that put you to sleep just looking at it. But there are also a handful of designs that are mic drop gorgeous and will be revered for the rest of time. No different now than at any other time in history.