Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goon's Project Questions .

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey all

I have a few questions and sorry if i have asked some of these before.

First Carby Vs EFI on a Blue 202, what are the postives and negatives between the varajet 2 vs VK efi ? & webber carb vs VK EFI?

Has anybody installed EFI to a blue 202 before? i know some of you have but i'm not to sure who :whistling

Engine rebuild part's! okay ive done all the basic maintence stuff from dizzy, ignition, gaskets, oil, battery, fuel etc etc

Now i'm planning to replace the lifters in the future & push rods are an idea, but what else? like cams and pistons? can u put stage 3 parts in without doing stage 2? Harden valves for ULP.

Can u install 308 valves?

Can i do most of this without having to remove my engine?

Which gearbox is better on fuel on the highway, 4 ,5 or auto ?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hey all

I have a few questions and sorry if i have asked some of these before.

First Carby Vs EFI on a Blue 202, what are the postives and negatives between the varajet 2 vs VK efi ? & webber carb vs VK EFI?

Has anybody installed EFI to a blue 202 before? i know some of you have but i'm not to sure who :whistling

Engine rebuild part's! okay ive done all the basic maintence stuff from dizzy, ignition, gaskets, oil, battery, fuel etc etc

Now i'm planning to replace the lifters in the future & push rods are an idea, but what else? like cams and pistons? can u put stage 3 parts in without doing stage 2? Harden valves for ULP.

Can u install 308 valves?

Can i do most of this without having to remove my engine?

Which gearbox is better on fuel on the highway, 4 ,5 or auto ?
EFI All the way better reliability, more porwer, easier starting.

Im about to help someone do an EFI conversion on a VH 202. I can give you a guide on what needs to be done and what order to do it in.

ok engine wise, if your going to stick with the 202, I suggest you dont but...
buy yourself a virgin bore 202. Rebuild it and install it in your car dont worry about doing it in stages. Get the block bored 40 thou, linish the crank 10 thou, get the bottom end balenced, new cam TGK alloy timing gear, ACL race series pistons, star fire rods get them shot peened, crow push rods & anti pump up lifters, Port out the head, get brass guides installed, get big vales. Yella terra roller rockers, KC alloy rocker cover & side plates and you will have a wild 202. EFI wise you would need to go for high flow injectors, after market fuel & ignition computer maybe a delco or haltec E6X.

Your best to work out a drive line & spec your cam to suit, I suggest you run something like a 3.45:1 VL turbo diff, T5 5 speed out of a V6 commodore or falcon the falcon ones can go for around $400. Thie owuld see you with a good take off, and a really good highway cruising speed & economy.

cheers
Scott

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Cheers for this infomation mate, bloody brillant :D

& 4 sure a guide on the EFI install would be great :yeah:

I've sent a pm :thumbsup:

The gearbox shouldn't be hard to get price wise :p I just have to slog it out in the sun for a few hours :w00t:

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
As I love the 202's, could you give a price estimate for when I do up a 202?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I wouldn't bother doing any engine work. I'd just buy a new reco engine complete. Why do you want to replace your lifters and push rods? If they are fine, then don't replace them. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If your bottom end is fine and the pistons are good and no smoke or compression problems, just get a reco cylinder head and new cam. Replace your lifters with the cam but don't replace the lifters just for no reason. The push rods would be fine and don't need replacing if they are straight and not bent or worn out. You can do all that without taking the motor out but pistons and crank jobs you'll need the motor out. You've got a lot of work to do with what you want to do.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I thought putting an EFI 202 in my car was gonna be pretty easy.....but apparently u need the change the whole wiring loom, and relocate the fuse box into the engine bay. I thought I'd just be able to add the EFI wires into my loom, and keep my fuse box where it is in the VH. And apparently one of the relays for the EFI sells for about $70 second hand.......I was told all that from a commodore wrecker.....so it turned me off going EFI this time.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
What relay for EFI would cost 70 bucks? What is the relay?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok, you dont need to relocate an entire fuse box you need wiring wise the following:

A hole through your firewall to run the EFI wiring harness into the cabin (for the computer).
You need to wire up 1 relay:
The EFI relay and run wires to the fuel pump. As for the price of the EFI relay, that seems a bit rich to me but ill sell you one for $50 :). Also if your hunting for an EFI relay check an EFI camira they run the Bocsh Jettronic injection and will have the same relay as you require and who wants camira parts so it will probably go cheap :). Also the same relay is run in a 5L VK commodore.
You need to connect the relay to
+12 power
-12 power
2 fused circuits for EFI & fuel pump one switched off ignition
couple of wires to the computer.

As for a 202, build one dont buy a reco ones, the bulk reco companies do a poor job of building & machining them. Definitely build one to spec and you will have a much better engine. Take your time assembling it and you will have a long lasting engine you will appreciate.

cheers
Scott

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If it's the same relay in my 5L, bugger that. Just get an aftermarket electric fuel pump and scrap that part.