Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got $1000 to spend. What to buy ?

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
So I have $1000 to spend on my VZ alloytec... I was going to buy a tune, but matt stockers ?? told me that it's basically a waste of money. He said that I will get around the corner and think ' why the #### did I just spend that money on this.'

So No go to VCM as it really doesn't do a great deal for the $1000. ( have researched it, and it doesn't do what I thought. )

So, I really don't know what to by performance wise to it. It has a K&N high flow filter, HSV R8 cat back exhaust ( well from the smaller pipes from the cat back ) 2 hole mod.

So other than the tune and CPR6 manifold ( which I cannot afford ) what else can I do to it for some more power, make it a bit better off the line.

If nothing, What do you think with visual wise ? You reckon I can get a paint job for that price ?

Thanks guys!

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Hey mate, i used to own an ls1 and your right, the tune wont be as effective on the alloytech as it is on say an ls motor. If your absolutly set on doing something performance wise then a simple cat back would certainly be in your price range.
However i think on these motors unless your going to spend big bucks (i certainly don't plan on it) you wont really get bang for buck when it comes to performance modifications.
My SS got stolen so with the payout i decided to go down a different road and put a decent sound system in the sv6 rather than buying another SS and spending another 6 grand on performance mods.
With $1000 you could definatly make a great start to a sound system if thats something you would like to do. OR maybe save a little longer up to around 1600 total and go for a set of rims?

Just an idea :)
Tim

EDIT: If you are reffering to a full re spray i think youd be looking at more like $4000.

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
already have a 1K sound system lol.

It has a cat back already. I was just hoping that there might be something else out there. I'm looking into the underdriven kits, they seem to just about give the same power and torque upgrades as the VCM tune.
I just started looking at the Haltech ECU's too. But can't find price on them.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
already have a 1K sound system lol.

It has a cat back already. I was just hoping that there might be something else out there. I'm looking into the underdriven kits, they seem to just about give the same power and torque upgrades as the VCM tune.
I just started looking at the Haltech ECU's too. But can't find price on them.

Underdriven kits are for people who spend a fair amount of time at high rpm, probably not the first choice for street car, not saying it won't have benefits but I would definitely take a tune over it. And fon't go aftermarket ECU, a proper tune will be heaps better for your car.

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funny that you say that. You seem to be the only person who says that the underdriven kits are no good for street application. Everything else I have read says otherwise and with a $750 difference in price. Well, you can see where I am going with it.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input, but you are the only person who has said that.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Funny that you say that. You seem to be the only person who says that the underdriven kits are no good for street application. Everything else I have read says otherwise and with a $750 difference in price. Well, you can see where I am going with it.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input, but you are the only person who has said that.

Oh I'm not saying they aren't any good for street application but I personally would like stuff like my coolant pump and power steering pump and alternator to spin at proper speeds, not slower.

You will get a benefit, but I personally would go the tune. Maybe underdriven kit later. This is my personal opinion.

Gothem92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Tunes do more then just give power. I'm more after the other features of a tune. like ####ing that rev limit of 4k off. and the torque limiter. and what ever other secret there are...

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
lsd & gears.... and then a tune to correct your speedo, shift points, etc :p

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Everyone tells me Tune tune tune. But, well Yes I can do things like remove torque management, that 4K rev limit ( which I never use anyways ).
But I have read that removing torque management does diff damage after a while.
Plus a Pro tuner Matt Stockers has told me that they are basicly a waste of money. ( which had me disappointed for a whole 3 hours ! :p )
Plus looking at some youtube vids of VCM tuned VZ's with the same mods as mine, doesn't seem to affect the 0 - 100 KPH time at all.
I currently get about 8 secs to get me there.

Yes I would love to get some diff gears and an LSD. I think that might be the way to go, and have it recalibrated at holden.
I was just going to buy the program myself and tune it, But Matt laughed at me, and told me good luck.

I have no idea where to set parameters too, or how to tune it. Plus then I would need to buy a wideband sensor.
GAH ! my head is full of fu*k.