Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got a question about my O2 sensors

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I just thought that your reply helped no one but actually make it worse by insulting our member....we all cant be conversant in all things ..thats why he posted the questions.
Even if you considered the questions silly it doesnt help by putting **** on him
That's because you didn't understand my motivation for the questions.

Firstly, I wasn't 'putting **** on him' and I wasn't suggesting his questions were silly, that is how YOU perceived it, and may be due in part to how I expressed myself, sometimes I'm very direct and upfront. :)

Here's the reality of his situation.
Woodsman has had this problem for 5 months, he has stated he is a pensioner and can't afford to spend lots of dollars and has to save for the parts nor can he do the work himself - as stated by him in later posts (yet his earlier posts suggest he has attempted to tackle some repairs himself - that's why I wanted some clarification).
Yet, since May, he has engaged the services of numerous 'sparky's' and 'mechanics' including the Holden workshop, has spent $4000+ and STILL has not resolved the issue, which is....'stalling and misfiring etc'

How can a 'pensioner' outlay $4000 added to the fact he does not have the skills to tackle such a complex issue (remember all these trained experts still haven't fixed the problem yet keep charging him $$)
So, my motivation was to get him to start asking himself some serious questions.

What is he going to do, spend another few thousand randomly replacing parts as suggested by folks on an internet forum in the HOPE that eventually one of them will fix the fault?
Is he being ripped off by these techs?
How can he afford to outlay 4k on parts/labour when he's a pensioner and not have a resolution?

Time to get real.
It doesn't add up. What's the story here??
Is he telling porky's, is he trolling this board? Or does he need someone (a friend or family member) to go into bat for him with these techs so they stop ripping him off??

It's easy to misinterpret 'intent' and 'tone' via a text based internet forum.
So for what it's worth, it was not my intent to offend Woodsman or anyone else in this thread

So Woodsman, where do you go from here?

Last edited:

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
You seem to be interested in trivial things without offering any constructive advise,you say my story does not add up to you so what!! If you must know I have borrowed lots of money from several places to fix what I intended to be my last car in this life I am in my late 50's so that might clear a few things up I am suffering a degenerative condition that will have me in a chair soon enough,but I am not dead yet. You seriously need to ask why do you answer anybodies posts if all you want to do is probe into personal stuff none of your concern like a gossip columnist.My guess is your in your 20's or 30's with no concept of imagination about how other people live much less tolerance for others opinions.Yes I feel ripped off by many who come tell me their guesses about my car replace parts for which I legally have to pay them for their work irrespective of whether it's fixed or not. So if you have nothing to add to a solution go back to harassing other people ,I don't need it.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Well you completely misunderstand my intention then.

In my humble opinion, I think you need some assistance from a trusted friend or family member who can help you deal with your car repair and help you deal with the technicians, because it seems you might be being led down the garden path.
For the money you've spent, the issue should have been resolved by now.

My intent was to help, because you may end up spending more money unnecessarily, it is very difficult for someone to diagnose this problem accurately via a internet forum.
But maybe someone here will be able to help without you needing to spend thousands more but if you can't do the work yourself you will still need to pay someone!

It seems unlikely that the O2 sensors are the problem, surely the Holden technicians would have been onto that already, they have the best diagnostic tools with factory trained technicians, so theoretically, they should know these cars better than anyone.

Anyway, all the best, I do genuinely hope you find a solution soon.

Last edited:

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
Holden's on 2 occasions cannot find any fault in the car,they know there is one but cannot say where it is. They charge $175 an hour to look for faults they have had 12 hours. No matter who looks for it expects to be paid so no matter what those are my only options outside of getting idea's on places like this. My next plan is to replace the fuel injector wiring loom and possibly the whole engine bay loom as far as I can tell apart from the front O2 sensor there is nothing else that I can replace.

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
9/9/2015

In the last 6 months expenses for my VE Calais 2007

Full service $320
Timing Chain replacement $2,500
Fuel Pump $150
Two Cam Shaft Actuators $320
Crankshaft sensor inc Labour $200
Software upgrade $120
Holden’s fault search $800
Auto Electrician $50
2nd Auto Elec $90
Crank Angle sensor $55
Alternator $125
Fit Alternator $150 $4,880.00
Heiner 3 hours $225
Second hand fuse box $75
Replaced the fuel injectors $100.
Bought and replaced rear O2 sensors $105.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Wow

That's crazy.

So the engine has intermittent misfire, flat spot and randomly stalls, is that correct?

What about dirty fuel, maybe try something simple like replacing the fuel filter and flush out the fuel lines?
Maybe there is gunk/dirt particles sitting in the bottom of the fuel tank being sucked through the fuel system?

Just some thoughts.

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
All of the fuel system has been replaced as in fuel pump the internal filter, the VE does not have an external filter well my model does not, it has had the entire system cleaned. The critical symptom is the running temperature before any symptoms begin when cold it drives perfectly, the consensus is this is an electrical issue,or so I'm told. I can tell you 5 months ago the car's problems were nowhere as bad as they are now so whatever the issue it is just getting worse. Every time I replace some part it seems to be better for a minute or two but then keeps being an arsehole.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I have a 2007 SV6, apparently there is a fuel filter (in tank type)...I assume it's internal to the fuel tank. (in addition to filter inside the fuel pump)
Service booklet states "replacement not required under normal driving conditions"

Did Holden do live diagnostics, meaning, did they plug the scan tool in and drive the vehicle under normal operating temperature and drive it until the problem occurs.
This would take two people, one to drive while the tech sits in the passenger seat and checks and monitors all the relevant parameters on the scan tool.

*just throwing ideas around*

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
I appreciate the questions, Holden's tested everything I had consumer affairs organize some extra time for diagnostics but the fault is so fast when it happens finding the cause is difficult. So far I have had four people think it is within the engine bay wiring there is no obvious marks,tears in the loom so whatever I do next is just another guess.I know another sparky who had a VE V8 with the same symptoms he changed the O2 sensors and the problem went away,I though he was onto something until he said V8's only have one O2 sensor but they have 4 like mine.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does it do it while idling or only when driving? If it does it at idle too, start wiggling the loom and the connectors. If it does it at idle too, it will do it when you wiggle the problem part.