Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got an idea, dont know if its possible.. VT electrical ?

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
At the moment I have LED's in my car underneath the seats that are blue, I want to add another set of red one's but only have the blue ones go off and then red ones go on whenever I'm doing anything higher than 90km/h anyway i can talk to the computer in the car and program this?

I have experience in developing RS323 applications and I do have a laptop installed into my car I could connect this stuff through but I dont know how the car computer works

Any feedback be great thanks.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
It IS possible and you wouldn't even need to interface with the vehicles onboard "computer". However, if you have a spare laptop then connecting into the vehicles BCM will provide you with a LOT more data.

It would be fairly easy to setup. Depending on how exactly you want to do it. You can use a circuit to work out the voltage coming in through the speed sensor and then work out which colour to show.

I'll have to wait to get home to consult the holden manual to get the exact wire thta needs to be patched into. But definatly doable! :)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
VTVSSCircuit.jpg

That's the Voltage Sensor Sender Circuit. Basically the vehicles run the speeds off that violet/white wire to power it, however, digital speedo relies on the serial communication.

If you patch into that lead anywhere and split it to a simple circuit you could compare the voltage on that line to whatever you set (using a resistor) to a comparator. If the voltage is over a certain limit then you could get it to hit a relay to turn on the LED lights. [Same sort of idea as to what goes behind the steering column switches circuit i'm developing]

However, you would need to compare the voltage of your vehicle out yourself and experiment with different resistors. As depending on what offset Holden have set on your vehicle it will vary [different offests can be set to get the speed to display right].