Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got an interesting one for you guys.

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Hello guys thanks in advance for any advice you give.

I have an 05 vz exec and for quite some time it's has been clunking and thumping and thudding over bumps at a decent speed say 80km +.

They can range from quiet to very loud and can be quite scary at times. To me the sound is never localised. Sometimes rear passenger sometimes front passenger (floor not wheel) sometimes sounds like it's right in the middle of the car. Sounds and sometimes feels as if something is hitting the car like the exhaust or tailshaft.

I have replaced all suspension lately including all new top mounts, bushes and bump stops so I know that isn't the issue. I have also replaced castor bushes, sway bar links, rack ends and ties rod ends as well as many other bushes and parts at the front end.

I have had a mechanic have a look around underneath on a hoist with a pry bar and he said the tailshaft couplings look good centre bearing looks good diff bushes look good and couldnt see much else wrong with the car other than.... he mentioned a rattle on the inside of the rear tailshaft section. As if the rear section of the tailshaft had something loose inside it. Does this sound like a legitimate problem and could it be causing my issue?

Sorry about the long post any and all answers and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi Dandy2012. Sedan or Wagon?

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
You mentioned the exhaust. What was the outcome of that?

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Still haven't had it checked. Plan on replacing all the hangers anyway and I'll let you know if that solves any issues

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
It won't cost much, good idea. Give the thing a wriggle yourself and see if you can get it to knock. How are your engine mounts? Also the spring rubbers at the bottoms of your coil springs?

Dandy2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Engine mounts are good when I checked may need to check them again. Spring rubbers are brand new replaced with suspension

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
How are you going with this. Happy New Year too :)