Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got noises coming from front left after a routine tire replacement

Banj789

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore 1996
Noise wasn’t there before the tire replacement, the tires are fitted correct and for the vehicle properly without scrubbing anywhere. New brake pads have just been fitted (since the problem arose). Noise is a sort of scraping sound that usually would be associated with worn brake pads, since being replaced the sound has still persisted, I’m pretty young and have never grown up with cars, is there anyone out there that could give me some insight or might have an idea of what it is?
I will mention that I’ve checked for stones and stuff between the brake rotor and stone guard. I’ve taken apart the Callipers and replaced brake pads. Happy to hear any advice I can get!

H

harrop.senator

Scraping/grinding means something that turns not goes up and down.

If you've already checked the brakes check the bearing play. When jacked grab it at 12 and 6 see how much it moves.

Also put one on the rear wheels on front see I it changes the noise.

Still can't find it use a screwdriver with a clear plastic handle as a stethoscope or a real stethoscope spin the wheel and stick it to everywhere and listen to the noise amplify.

Banj789

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore 1996
Scraping/grinding means something that turns not goes up and down.

If you've already checked the brakes check the bearing play. When jacked grab it at 12 and 6 see how much it moves.

Also put one on the rear wheels on front see I it changes the noise.

Still can't find it use a screwdriver with a clear plastic handle as a stethoscope or a real stethoscope spin the wheel and stick it to everywhere and listen to the noise amplify.
Alrighty I’ll give it a go and see what I can find.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Check there isn't wheel weights on the inside scraping against the caliper...It's a common cause of this noise when tyres are replaced and stupid fitters don't take note of the style of wheel weights removed......

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If it's not the wheel weights it'll be the backing plate.
A wheel weight would be pulsating noise whereas a backing plate would be a constant scraping sound.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
as @shane_3800 suggested, sounds more coming from the pad change, any wheel weights would have worn away and stopped any noise after a few kms.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
as @shane_3800 suggested, sounds more coming from the pad change, any wheel weights would have worn away and stopped any noise after a few kms.

Since the issue seems to have arose before the brake pad change, would you still think it would be brake pad related? Just seems weird the noise began after a tyre change....

Something to consider

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Got 1 of the pads in backwards ?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Noise not there before tyre change so

What wheels do you have ??
Is it a loose centre cap on a mag wheel ??
Noisy wheel trim not seated correctly or damaged ??
Have they cracked a wheel during tyre/ wheel fitting ??
Have they snapped a wheel stud ??
Is the noisy wheel not centered on the hub when done up ??
Has the backing plate been damaged during fitting ??
It has to be something simple.
If the noise is not there while the wheel is jacked up and spinning then it is pressure related and may be wheel cracked etc
so remove that particular wheel, give it a good scrub then inspect thoroughly for cracks etc

My experience with tyre outlets is, while the meet and greet person may be good ? ( insert sales person) there are some drongos out back doing the work who are only interested in what or who they are going to do tonight.

Good luck