Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got the Shakes ...

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
Hey guys ..

wanna ask this question and see what answers i have got .. i have tried everything that i can think of but here it goes ..

3 weeks ago when my car had stock 18s right round and stock ride height, i was turning left at an intersection i heard like a CLUNK from the front end, then i heard something SNAP and bounce under the car hitting the underneath of my car ... i pulled over spent 20min walking up and down the road looking for a broken part or bolt something with no luck ...

i drove home and noticed between 90kph - 110kph huge shake through the steering wheel so much i couldnt hold the wheel at all .. ( car still ran straight )
Anyway i was getting new rims 2 days later and i was also getting it lowered ...

I put the 20s on and lowered it and i told the bloke about that noise and the shake and to have a look under there for me ..
i picked car up looks unreal and he said he cant seem to find anything wrong with the suspension or steering ...
i drove it home and the SHAKE is even worse with the 20s on it .....
So the next day it went into another mechainc and he looked at everything .. caster bushes , all suspension bushes plus all steering components brakes wheel bearings and driveshaft..
came back with nothing said all is fine and 100% (said i have a noisy pulley thats it)
so i thought might be a wheel weight or tyre hop ... booked it in at tyre power they found the left hand front wheel was 30grams out .. fixed it and did a full 4 wheel alignment ..
took it on the hwy still shakes ..... not as bad but still there ....
booked it in this morning for another alignment and balance said it was all good no issues they could see.. they think its something mechanical causing it ....

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE ?????

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
Also going around corners or over speed bumps or any other bump there is no noise at all

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Cheap wheels and tyres making it almost impossible to balance?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
tail shaft or axle is your next place to look I guess. Not knowing much myself but if it's happening as bad as that and at certain speeds, my guess is it's rotational and out of balance. Balance weight on a shaft? Hex bolt from axle? Has the tailshaft bearing come loose in its race? Tailshaft bracket come away from body of the car?

I think they're right in saying suspension is fine.

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
Cheap wheels and tyres making it almost impossible to balance?

was doing it before the new wheels and new rubber went on...

tail shaft or axle is your next place to look I guess. Not knowing much myself but if it's happening as bad as that and at certain speeds, my guess is it's rotational and out of balance. Balance weight on a shaft? Hex bolt from axle? Has the tailshaft bearing come loose in its race? Tailshaft bracket come away from body of the car?

I think they're right in saying suspension is fine.

my Mechanic said he checked the drive train and said it was all good ... but the steering wheel shakes i would of thought if it was an axle or drive shaft you would feel it more in the ass end ??? plus that noise i heard defiantly came from the front as i heard it bounce under the car hitting the under neath pretty much right to the back of the car .. if that makes sense

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
hmm good point. how do the brakes feel? has anyone inspected the hubs with the wheels off?

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
my mechanic took wheels off and checked the wheel bearings said they are all moving freely and without an issue.. they pads and rotors could do with replacing next service witch is 2000ks away ...
it steers and drives fine hit 90kph get shakes hit 120 it disappears..

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Maybe you link pins? Have you ever changed them. The originals are rubbish and make a clunking sound when they wear out.
Could be your rotors maybe rubbing on the pads at high speed? Especially if they have warped.

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
Maybe you link pins? Have you ever changed them. The originals are rubbish and make a clunking sound when they wear out.

I haven't replaced them not sure if previous owner did ... it doesnt clunk tho if turning or over bumps .. it only clunked this 1 time and now something is farked lol ...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
jack the front end up and spin the wheels the rim might be perfect but the tyre could be out of round or not seated properly, i had this issue with cheap rear tyres and only noticed when i went on a dyno the whole car shook so bad my tuner couldn't do a full run, checked it when i got home and the cheap rear tyres are not round or not on the rim right so i just bought new ones and all good, so would be worth checking if they are on the front u will feel it bad...