Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gotcha's for swapping Ecotech -> L67

creasote

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hi,
I'm looking at some options with regards to beefing up my VY S (seeing as it's worth next to nothing to sell :bang:), so of course forced induction is at the top of the "wouldn't that be cool" list.

At the moment one option being seriously considered is picking up a factory supercharged V6 and dropping it in, but working with my brother (who does all of his playing over on the Ford side) we're concerned about some possible gotcha's that we haven't come across yet.

Specifically we were wondering about how the ECU would handle going from an auto (in the donor car) to a manual (in the recipient)?

Can anyone warn of any other little quirks or tricks we should be aware of that would make this a silly idea / trickier proposition?

Thanks in advance from a new member
:D

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
its in no way a bad idea, pretty straight swap and it will have some kick from the blower. the pcm (ecu) would just need tuning to run an L67 tune for a manual, so you'd get a mail order flash tune or have it done on the dyno at a workshop.
the other option would be to put a blower on your current engine, not an eaton m90 like the L67 has but a centrifugal type. which would be easier than a complete engine swap and yield greater gains.
either way, having a blown ecotec is worth it. they go pretty well with some forced induction.

creasote

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Yeah thanks, that's the path my brother is pushing me towards, too (dropping a Raptor s/c on my ecotech). The main thought process behind the L67 was using it as a base plate with future mods in mind.

I'm guessing then I'll keep doing my homework and look to acquire a Raptor some time soon. When it comes time for "bigger and better" I can worry about doing all the reinforcing of the engine then.

Cheers for the advice.

Chris :thumbsup:

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Raptor would probably give you more power in the short term, but putting in the l67 will give you a stronger foundation to modify into the future

creasote

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Yeah, I can definitely see the pro's and con's of both... After much debating I'm going to yeild and follow Nicco's push and head down the Raptor path. I'm sure it'll give me enough smiles for a year while I plan something bigger and sillier! :-D