Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GPS Tracker

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I was wondering if anyone has installed a GPS tracker / immobiliser to their VF's?

I know someone mentioned that they had used an old iphone but has anyone installed anything else?

Thanks

sshatzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
I was wondering if anyone has installed a GPS tracker / immobiliser to their VF's?

I know someone mentioned that they had used an old iphone but has anyone installed anything else?

Thanks
Hi Dirty Harry,
I have had one of these which I bought from eBay several years ago for around $160, good long battery life 30 days,should the car battery be disconnected if your car is stollen ,good phone interface on your mobile just need to download Orange GPS tracker,you will need to register,you will need to buy a SIM card for the unit if you deside to purchase one,it comes with relays to cut the engine or full,but I was reluctant to install them.
I had the unit in my ssv Ve for around 4 years,my wife also drives my car and is also great for tracking her,I am not saying I don't love or trust my wife,I just like knowing where my car has been.
You can also download the software on your laptop which gives you endless GPS plotting which you can monitor. Ie, today,yesterday,last week,last month.
I have removed the unit as I have just sold my car and yes I will be installing it in my Redline which I am picking up tomorrow.
Hope this helps you,please see attached photos

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 528

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Hey sshatzi... Looks like that's a GSM/GPRS ... ie a 2G tracker. Telstra have already shut down their 2G network and Optus is going to next month. Vodafone won't be long after... which may render the unit useless in the near future.

sshatzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Hey sshatzi... Looks like that's a GSM/GPRS ... ie a 2G tracker. Telstra have already shut down their 2G network and Optus is going to next month. Vodafone won't be long after... which may render the unit useless in the near future.
Thanks for that 3G/4G units are available also, my IPad only had 3 percent battery while I was replying,I am fully aware 2G network shutting down,I work for a Telco.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that 3G/4G units are available also, my IPad only had 3 percent battery while I was replying,I am fully aware 2G network shutting down,I work for a Telco.

Thanks sshatzi,

I can't make it out but has that got a brand on it or do you have a link to it please?

Also - as you work for a telco would you go for a 3G or 4G one? There seems to be more choices for 3G ones.

Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
... stuck a TK905 tracker in the HSV
bout$60 on eBay it was.. plus a $20 credit on a Vodafone SIM

you get free access to their website (to register and set it up)

I can see via the site or the app for the tracker on my phone, where the
car is (actually where the tracker is)

decent value for $ in my book

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride

and that needs to be recharged every few months (like the ones on ebay?) or is it hooked up to the electronics?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
and that needs to be recharged every few months (like the ones on ebay?) or is it hooked up to the electronics?

recharge every 90 days (it tells you when)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Will this device still continue to work once Vodaphone turn off their 2G network at the end of September?

sshatzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Will this device still continue to work once Vodaphone turn off their 2G network at the end of September?

hi Anthony121,
no mate its going to be useless in September

i am no expert on Car GPS UNITS ,But i two had a 2g unit which is now rendered useless due to no more optus 2g signal in the Sydney area,i have been looking on eBay for a new unit and have just purchased a new 4g unit its called MT600 4G GPS Tracker,it was $199 +30 delivery ,but offered hin $149,which he accepted.they all do the same thing (track your car or boat or bicycle), the reason i bought this one is that they claim that its real time tracking.no delay 30,10,second delay to the mobile,i also purchased a new optus sim card on a $40 dollar plan,i assume i will be neding it .
i have also bought a TK119-3G UNIT two weeks ago from ebay from seller Rador one (great customer service,but the unit updated every 30seconds on the mobile application on the phone (not real time tracking)

i will update you once i receive the unit (MT600 4G GPS TRACKER) and once i have installed and used the unit ,i do hope its real time tracking. check it out if you like www.mictrack.com is the website, i bought mine on eBay as i previously stated.

Attachments

• MT600_User_Manual_V3.0.pdf
    378.9 KB · Views: 735
Last edited: