Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GPS Units - What's hot and what's not?

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Hey guys,

I was looking at upgrading the maps on my Tom Tom, but at $99 for 4 maps/1 year, and being tax time, I'm looking at getting a new GPS with lifetime map upgrades.

I was just after some idea of what y'all use? I want something that pinpoints my location nice and quick, has accurate maps (preferably designed specifically for Australians.), and some kind of live traffic update.

I'd post this in the LAN lounge, but it would never be seen again. :p

Thanks guys!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
me personally.
Melways. very easy to reference and find locations on it. :p
you can always add to it if required
if in doubt jump on the phone and pinpoint using Nokia maps.

maybe go into your local JB Hi Fi or the likes.
you seem to know what you want, and youll be able to have a play and see which you prefer more.
as when I was in there last week I had a look (someone else was wanting to look at them) and they all seemed very similar.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
If you have any smart phone they'll out do any gps unit as the software is similar (if not better like Samsungs navigon app) and the speed of operation and screen quality would be far superior.

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Hey guys,

I was looking at upgrading the maps on my Tom Tom, but at $99 for 4 maps/1 year, and being tax time, I'm looking at getting a new GPS with lifetime map upgrades.

I was just after some idea of what y'all use? I want something that pinpoints my location nice and quick, has accurate maps (preferably designed specifically for Australians.), and some kind of live traffic update.

I'd post this in the LAN lounge, but it would never be seen again. :p

Thanks guys!

Look on the GPS forums such as austech or GPS underground. I update my Tom Tom 4 times a year including speed/safety cameras without paying anything.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Look on the GPS forums such as austech or GPS underground. I update my Tom Tom 4 times a year including speed/safety cameras without paying anything.

I accidently do the same.

I prefer a dedicated GPS for now as dont have a phone cradle for the inbuilt navigation on it.

TomToms i have used, heard that Garmin are pretty good as well.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
I accidently do the same.

I prefer a dedicated GPS for now as dont have a phone cradle for the inbuilt navigation on it.

TomToms i have used, heard that Garmin are pretty good as well.

I was referring to dedicated gps and not a phone based GPS

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Nah I'd prefer not to use my phone as I'm too busy texting and facebooking while I drive...(relax guys. Just taking the piss)

I'll have a look at Harvey Norman/JB Hifi tomorrow.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
me personally.
Melways. very easy to reference and find locations on it. :p
you can always add to it if required
if in doubt jump on the phone and pinpoint using Nokia maps.

maybe go into your local JB Hi Fi or the likes.
you seem to know what you want, and youll be able to have a play and see which you prefer more.
as when I was in there last week I had a look (someone else was wanting to look at them) and they all seemed very similar.

I agree, I've driven a delivery truck for the last 7 years, and I've been using a Melways the whole time. GPS units **** me, especially in the city. You can't learn a road by listening to a GPS.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
What pisses me off with every GPS except the IQ is that without reception, like interference / cloud cover / underground tunnels and covered bypasses, you can't get meaningful directions, miss the turn off, and there's no accurate location of speed cameras.
IQ apparently uses the VSS to compensate, and that's fricken clever.