Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grab your bowling hat and houndstooth scarf.. Volvo to enter V8 Supercars in 2014!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It'd need to be done, I believe that whilst Nissan, Mercedes, Ford and Holden have a V8 in their line-up, Volvo does not (unless they use a ford V8 for they are ford owned?)

I still think the Australian touring car formula should be basically what group C was with some tweaks. Have a bodyshell/line; sell 1000 units of it in the last 12 months (to eliminate euro supercars that most wouldn't find relevant) for eligibility, have them as stripped out racers. Allow the following things/restrictions:

- Exhaust, cams, heads, intake are free but must keep same aspiration/capacity as the 'best' engine to be sold on that vehicle line (i.e. a lancer could be entered with the evo engine). Have a limit of turbo boost.
- Driveline is free
- Suspension - must keep same setup but springs and shocks are free; no electronic aids
- Wheels/tyres are free
- Aerodynamic bodykits are free but they must be available for sale to general public and therefore be road legal....(to keep things interesting)
- Body must be a standard production body

You can have classes based on general price, capacity, aspiration etc.

Having said that, apparently the series production formula a la Bathurst 12 hour is gaining traction. Have TV deals internationally, it appeals to international market where Ford/Holden does not. Given that Falcon is gone in 2016 and RWD Commodore probably soon after, that would mean the basic end of holden/ford rivalry....

Unfortunately that will never happen, part of the evolution to the "car of the future" platform was safety improvements i.e. a full chassis roll cage. Going back to a group C formula wouldn't meet the modern safety requirements

I do agree though, it would be much more interesting. I too enjoy the 12/24 hour enduro type events based on production type vehicles

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Also read today that 5 manufacturers is now the limit. Don't see why. The more the merrier I reckon.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Also read today that 5 manufacturers is now the limit. Don't see why. The more the merrier I reckon.

Not quite, 5 manufacturers was one of their short term objectives. They are discussing about capping it but at this time they're not sure what at. I do agree though on the more the merrier. Good to see Volvo joining. Hopefully Toyota won't be far behind.

There was a recent survey done with Toyota and Chrysler being the most wanted manufacturers to join the V8 supercars.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
And why not Jag as well. Their new XFR with 400+kw in road form could be a contender

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I'd like to see the whole field expanded to add another 6 to 10 cars. With a larger field you may get interest from overseas drivers and teams.

Would be a bit of a squeeze getting all those cars racing on some of the smaller tracks.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i don't believe Toyota would enter.
only because of how they like to be seen as Green.

i still do believe Dodge will eventually put in their Charger.
afterall its 4 doors and they have a v8 in their range.
maybe Chrysler in the future.
would be surprised if maybe even Audi would get involved.

things can only get more interesting though.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I like many others assumed that GRM would be in Chryslers come 2014, they were tipped top of the list to enter the series next. Toyota could as they're involved in nascar but I think Chrysler and Audi would be more likely next in line.

TigaVTSS57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i believe we might be using a bmw v8, all cloak and dagger stuff at work (volvo dealer) and this was whispered as a possibility. 4.4 yamaha finished in 2010. Probably wont be used.