Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grab your bowling hat and houndstooth scarf.. Volvo to enter V8 Supercars in 2014!

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Volvo Car Australia Joins V8 Supercars

I think this is a great idea to spread the field out and have less Holdens on the grid. Plus hopefully with the expected backing of Volvo hopefully there's enough RnD money to get GRM fairly competitive straight off the block.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
it is good to see.
shame Chrysler isn't going to enter aswell.

I do await for someone to have the sign of "Bloody Volvo Driver" though.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
it is good to see.
shame Chrysler isn't going to enter aswell.

I do await for someone to have the sign of "Bloody Volvo Driver" though.
For some reason I thought that Chrysler were going to enter , although I can't imagine the 300 C SRT lumbering about like a drunk hippo

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
For some reason I thought that Chrysler were going to enter , although I can't imagine the 300 C SRT lumbering about like a drunk hippo

it was rumoured but it was denied (was with GRM aswell). and they would only continue witht he safety car.
it was leaked about Volvo just over a week ago and it was semi-denied. but seemed very true.

will be interesting to see who else ends up entering.
Dodge Charger maybe?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was reading some other article today about the possibility of moving away from V8 based engines. About time too. Also apparently in part a move to bring the cars closer to their production variants. Can't believe they actually used that line.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I was reading some other article today about the possibility of moving away from V8 based engines. About time too. Also apparently in part a move to bring the cars closer to their production variants. Can't believe they actually used that line.
if they do start moving away from V8 engines it may just start to get interesting again , having a variation of cars on the grid

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
if they do start moving away from V8 engines it may just start to get interesting again , having a variation of cars on the grid

It'd need to be done, I believe that whilst Nissan, Mercedes, Ford and Holden have a V8 in their line-up, Volvo does not (unless they use a ford V8 for they are ford owned?)

I still think the Australian touring car formula should be basically what group C was with some tweaks. Have a bodyshell/line; sell 1000 units of it in the last 12 months (to eliminate euro supercars that most wouldn't find relevant) for eligibility, have them as stripped out racers. Allow the following things/restrictions:

- Exhaust, cams, heads, intake are free but must keep same aspiration/capacity as the 'best' engine to be sold on that vehicle line (i.e. a lancer could be entered with the evo engine). Have a limit of turbo boost.
- Driveline is free
- Suspension - must keep same setup but springs and shocks are free; no electronic aids
- Wheels/tyres are free
- Aerodynamic bodykits are free but they must be available for sale to general public and therefore be road legal....(to keep things interesting)
- Body must be a standard production body

You can have classes based on general price, capacity, aspiration etc.

Having said that, apparently the series production formula a la Bathurst 12 hour is gaining traction. Have TV deals internationally, it appeals to international market where Ford/Holden does not. Given that Falcon is gone in 2016 and RWD Commodore probably soon after, that would mean the basic end of holden/ford rivalry....