Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gravel Dust In VE Ute

jackfrost

Jack Frost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Omega Ute
Hey Guys, Ive got a VE ute and unfortunatly i live on 3km of gravel, ive only got a soft tonneau cover tho, and inside the tray at the rear end (near the tailgate) i get alot of dust inside, goin all over may tool box and wat not, i was just wondering if there was anyway to stop the dust from entering? by pressurising the tray or somthing.. ive also heard that hard top covers dont stop the dust either..?

Cheers, Jack

metalpledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
hey man i would think a hardtop would help the hardtop ive got is a egr holden one it has a rubber seal all around the edge when its pushed down so no dust or water should be able to get in there and under the tailgate section there is another rubber seal so i think it should be fixed by a hardtop i would think anyway
hope that helps bro

jackfrost

Jack Frost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Omega Ute
yeah cheers man, i was thinking of a hard top, but it restricts watever u want to carry hey, so u have to plan ur journey, in a sense that nothin large can b out into the back with out removing the hard top, how easy/time consuming - is it to remove ur hard top mate?

metalpledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
bro to be honest i havent had to take it off but i hear u just undo the brackets up near the back window clip off the gas struts and then you just need two people to lift the lid off i think it takes like 15 mins probably less once you get used to it bro but then again i have never done it sorry man thats all i know

and also i find the hardtop to be heaps safer seeing that it has central locking so when you do have those few things in the back people cant just lift the soft cover off and get it easily

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Just pave your driveway!

Only kidding, I beleive the hardtop will solve your issues.

Mix 6000

"Balck" VE Maloo R8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo R8
Hi, hard cover won't fix your problem.....I've had a Tiger VU Ute with a hard cover, a HSV VY II with a standard hardcover & now a VE Maloo also with a standard hardcover...."all leak water like a wet sieve"...so i gather dust will be the same....borrow someones ute with a hardcover & try it first. All the hardcover is Gr8 for is keeping valuables safe & look heaps better...cheers...:)

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Hi, hard cover won't fix your problem.....I've had a Tiger VU Ute with a hard cover, a HSV VY II with a standard hardcover & now a VE Maloo also with a standard hardcover...."all leak water like a wet sieve"...so i gather dust will be the same....borrow someones ute with a hardcover & try it first. All the hardcover is Gr8 for is keeping valuables safe & look heaps better...cheers...:)

mine doesn't leak water or get dust in through the tailgate

metalpledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yeah ive never had a problem with water ive actually gotten a hose and sprayed it right up around the seal because i have my drumkit in the back most of the time and cant get all the stuff wet so yeah .

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
What about the roll top covers? Don't have to remove them to fit bulkier items in and i've heard they do a pretty good job of keeping the water out (dust too, I guess). Not sure of the cost. Bluey's sells them in Sydney but I'd imagine there's a bunch of places around the country. It's definitely a 'tradie' look compared to the hard cover but could be an option. Just a thought. I think you can even get them colour matched.

ttfn2tt

ttfn2tt
Reaction score
Website
www.flat-top-products.com.au
Members Ride
VE SV6
Flat Top have special seals for their Hard Covers with double tongues to seal against dust ,(you gotta ask them) they are available on their Holden Ford Nissan D22 and Hilux lids but traveling creates a vacuum so you gotta seal good and somehow create slight positive pressure.