Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green coolant turned red??

kris_penn

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VY SS M6
Tastes like trans fluid lol, if u get a leak on your driveway, you can tell if it's trans or engine oil, same with distasting coolant, I've known mechanics to do it, teacher at the mta teaches it. It's a quick easy way to know. Not saying drink a cup, just a taste on the tip of ur tongue then spit it

or you could just give it a wiff :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Tastes like trans fluid lol, if u get a leak on your driveway, you can tell if it's trans or engine oil, same with distasting coolant, I've known mechanics to do it, teacher at the mta teaches it. It's a quick easy way to know. Not saying drink a cup, just a taste on the tip of ur tongue then spit it

riiiiiiight. well i deal with that stuff daily, so i reckon i will give it a miss.

yes OP, if trans fluid goes one way, then coolant would go the other. your trans fluid would have water in it which would make it milky and your trans will snarl at you when you select different gears (going from park to drive, going from stationary to 10kmph etc)

my guess is the guy who mentioned rust. i reckon the coolant is probably getting to the end of its life, the dye is changing colour and rust from the block and any other cast iron bits is making it go that colour.

time for a flush maybe?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
There have been quite a few cases where the turbine in the water pump starts to rust..
Result is pink coolant..

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Well ari666 I hope you're right. Coolant must be as old as the radiator, about two years. Think I'll go Nulon this time.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The ethylene glycol green radiator has a sweet taste and is highly poisonous.
You should never have pets or little kids around when doing a radiator flush in case they drink some.
Kills birds that drink the overflow from radiators in car parks.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Get orange coolant this time and you won't notice it going red..

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Well I did a one thousand Km round trip on the long weekend and the coolant got redder and the trans fuid level dropped.
So, took the radiator to Repco still uder warranty and fitted a replacement radiator.
Now they'll test my old one and re-imburse me if it's faulty. I can't think of any other way trans fluid could get into the coolant.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
If trans fluid got into your coolant is be worried it flowed both ways.. You don't want coolant in your transmissions..

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
If trans fluid got into your coolant is be worried it flowed both ways.. You don't want coolant in your transmissions..[/QUOTE
I syphoned a heap out and no sign of coolant. Transmission must run at a higher pressure?