Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

Adelaidetradie86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series 2
Bugger all in the back. ive done two trips to Keith from Adelaide (nearly 500km round trip) with about 450kg of floor sanding gear in the back. All i noticed was it went through more fuel and looked cool as the back was low as.
Definatly a dodgy one i reckon.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yea, I know no real weight in it at all. Been running 10 psi in polair bags with nothing in back as recommended, upped that to about 15, 16 psi for trip with whats in back and all seamed fine. Had a good look at shock and it's definitely sheared off where shaft steps down in diameter and thread starts. Got it and passenger side one and have a new one on order ( at least you only have to buy one not a pair). Did about 110 km round trip to this quaint little country town and no problems, so fingers crossed all good. Chase up whether I can get reimbursed after we get back, although I don't like my chances.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No, got one on order and I've paid for it on credit card , haven't heard anything yet so can't be in . I don't like my chances though when it does turn up. So at this stage I've spent twice as much . The KYBs will end up with about 3000 to 5000 kms on them, since I've spent the money don't know might keep them as spares.
Still on holidays touring around, hasn't missed a beat since. Got us down to Bright, Victoria then Melbourne, now we're in Phillip Island, only problem is it's using petrol, ha, can't even complain with that because it's not that bad for what it is.
Oh and since still enjoying holidays haven't really thought much about it. Something to worry about next week or when the shock turns up.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A bit of an update , my new shock arrived last week and I went and picked it up yesterday , not expecting a refund. So got told that while it's happened a few times before they believe it was my fault for over tightening the upper mount and compressing the rubber too much. They then proceed to tell me that it will only cost $66 instead of the 220 I'd already paid and when I originally bought them it cost 380 for the pair .
So considering it happened a few weeks ago and the annoyance I felt had disappeared I decided to accept that rather than get all worked up and annoyed in arguing and trying to get more and possibly not get anywhere. He seemed happy and I'm happy to be getting $154 back.
Don't know what you guys think , I haven't really tried analysing the reasoning behind it,just happy getting some money back .
Won't be fitting them until at least next weekend, but will be doing some checking when I do install them.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So I know it"s only a very mild engine and the sound of ol 5l been done to death but they do sound great.
Also I was interested to hear what it sounded like outside ute and with the camera attached to the tailgate it picked up the droning you get some of the time.
Pictures /videos aren"t great but I did do them primarily for the sound
https://youtu.be/Y5QU7IPlxE4
And what it sounds like from inside the ute
https://youtu.be/ZZ_tqf5wiaE

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyway a few weeks ago with the hot weather ute got up to half way on the temperature gauge on a few days and although thats not overheating considering it's never moved off a quarter in over 4 years of ownership !! A friend said fix it first , don't fit thermos to fix the problem ,which I agree with.
So got one of these even though I don't think it was totally buggered, you certainly can hear the new one.

Also thermostat and flush out and all seems good. Does want to sit a small amount higher but other day in 33 degrees with aircon running for whole trip home, sat on quarter while moving and one third in stop/start traffic.
Guessing it's going to run a tad hotter in warmer months either because of cam or radiator has a vane or two blocked when repaired.
Anyway no thermo fans for a while, get some use/money worth out of new clutch fan.

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
Love the look of those VS utes... Looks quite nice mate, colour kinda reminds me of my old girl

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, yeah love the VS's , as I've said did constantly look at upgrading until I've done a few mods and at least for now while there's plenty of other cars I'd like to own I don't imagine selling this to get one of them. In fact I just keep thinking how can afford to do this to it, or afford to run it with this done to it.
It puts a smile on my dial using it and that has to be a good thing

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Advantage of thermos is clutch fan is putting more load on the motor not just a heat thing. I like the thermos as frees up a bit of space for working on the engine. Nice ute!