Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by afstruct, Jul 19, 2016.

1. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Yeah stones / gravel size really so a pita to clean out, took quite a while as some were jaming in the grooves.
    This was the third time but last as just home improvement not work.

Yeah tub liner's not perfect, in hindsight should have done something like another liner .
    What's hurt it more is putting pavers in there.
    They weren't even really pavers, they were my old parth at back of house that I cut up and removed before putting the back deck on , so they weren't small 59 cm x 69 cm x about 8 to 9 cm thick, not lite either.
    Had 6 left over after doing my place and missus said I've got just the place for them
    From what I've seen the hsv ones are rare as.
    I'll have to try cleaning it up a bit.

Yeah doesn't get used as a workhorse much but very handy when it does. Will again next weekend although not to the same extent.

Normally wash it fairly regular just slack and sidetracked. Yeah my paints not perfect , it's alright for age : ,etc . Got a few comments from people when I was getting stuff for my house including one guy ( who was shorely about same age as the ute) in one hardware goes geez that looks pretty good for it's age .
    The aim is hopefully keep it long enough for club rego and when not being used all the time get it repainted.

Thanks , yeah helps when I like using it and as said if I end up getting it painted , I'll definitely want to be quite a bit more careful.
    A few years ago when nsw changed the club rego rules a friend said old utes have just become box trailers.

2. afstruct

Members Ride:
    So I'm cursed , I hate this car / ute at times ( 22 years old, has a few issues and reliability problems occasionally , more than a few years ago) , because viewed as the daily = less tolerant.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I sit on the back deck on weekend and this is the view ( some will say uck , I say reminds me of and I remember why / what I like) both of where I live but also I think back why /what I love about this ute ( why I'm cursed), ( also helps when it shxts itself I have something else to use).
    E.G. missus turns up Thursday evening and driven through deep water =storms/flooding ( ( notorious not far from my place ). Friday morning her clutch won't disengage , still pissin down,so I'm not looking at it, and she's going take me home, maloo decides to not play either , so get to play spin the wheels in the monaro instead,( more fun after I've dropped her off and if you don't want to go fwd at too rapid a rate) but my first thought/ anonied utes not going .

VS_Pete and VS 5.0 like this.
  3. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Yeah, it's not the quickest thing out there ( there's always going to be quicker or catch you out things) ,
    As one work mate ( who's right into his BMWs said) I love listening to to that thump/ thump/ thump of your ute .

VS 5.0, VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  4. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Yes, the older they get, the more persitance that is required.

I wasn't up for that persistance on a daily anymore and had nowhere to store it as an irregular drive so moved it on.

While I love the VE, I do miss the sound & feel of the 5 litre.....so much more character than LS.

P.S. I liked post #122, not coz of the issues you are experiencing but for the underlying sentiment.

5. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Yes, that love/hate relationship we have with cars, now imagine if she could talk back.... :)

losh1971, afstruct and VS 5.0 like this.
  6. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Yeah, realized it was for sentiment.

Yeah , I'm just very frustrated atm ,
    The monaro's viewed as the toy and therefore shouldn't have to come out in crap weather or at least not unless I want to use it .

That's I think so much more why I'm frustrated, that and continually spending money on fixing issues.

Don't want to sound spoilt or anything, I'm very lucky and fortunate to be in the position I'm in and aford what I have.

But that also means I should be looking after these vechices and trying to keep them in fairly good nick.

There are 2 other ongoing issues which I'm not managing to solve yet ( which obviously don't stop it being used, although 1 might if I don't eventually get it) .
    Now this 1 , it's actually the 3rd or 4th time it's happened ( but this is very infrequent ,as in over a1 year time frame) .
    On cold starts when you select a gear ( auto ) it lurches fwd and stalls .
    It appears if you warm it up long enough it's fine.
    That's not going to help me at 4.45 am , I'm shore neighbours will very quickly get fed up with that, not to mention me and I want to fix the issue .

7. afstruct

Members Ride:
    She probably would have said thank fxxk I'm not going out in that weather .

Just think if I'd said to the missus, monaro's not going out in this weather we have to go on the bike.

You would've seen on the news , police have found a dead man in his home in newy

losh1971 and VS 5.0 like this.
  8. immortality

Members Ride:
    My Senator has a dodgy VSS sensor, when it plays up it's undriveable but it did set a fault code. Checked fault codes?

Is your car cammed?

9. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Yes to both . No fault codes.
    Cam is crows 4502 , mild , very small, good daily in auto ( probably better ones out there now) . Been in car for 2.5 years now

10. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Also fuel pump , IAC and TPS are less than 12 months old.

11. afstruct

Members Ride:

VS 5.0 likes this.
  12. immortality

Members Ride:
    I think the VSS can play up without setting a code and that is a fairly small cam.

My old 308 VH had a bigger cam and had a similar issue and the tuner I took it to raised the idle to compensate but recommended a stall converter. Not sure if advice was sound though. Who tuned it? Maybe cold idle target isn't set high enough or lacking a little timing. One way of testing would be to advance the dizzy a degree or 2 and see what it does then.

13. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Think I know how you feel Afstruct. My ute had so much **** wrong with it when i bought it i thought i was never going to have trouble free motoring. The last few months have been pretty good. I am finally on top of the problems, well mostly. Just need to sort this stupid fuel fumes in the cabin when the tank is full. Wishing now i had fixed it when I pulled the tank out but I didn't know that fuel smells were an issue back 12 months ago.

14. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR 304 - 05' Navara - 17' Focus - 12' Sorento
    I completely agree with you there, I thought buying my WM 6L as a daily and keeping the VR as a dedicated summer cruiser would be a great idea. When in actual fact I was just wanting to pull the 5L out the garage all the time instead, the LS just didn't really do it for me, the car itself was amazing though, I just didn't have as much love for it as I thought I would

I ended up selling it for a Navara. I'm not sure I could daily the VR, even now I drive it maybe 4-5 times a month and it has enough reliability challenges just doing that, let alone depending on it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    VS 5.0 likes this.
  15. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Yeah , I don't think it's the tune as this has only happened , I think the first time was beginning of this year . Funny enough that first time it did throw a code 28 , gearbox soliod I think .

Yeah you certainly deserve a huge medal for what you've put up with and fixed .

One thing frustrating for me is my first 4 years of ownership were relativity trouble free .

Beginning of 2014 living in newy and worked in cowra for a 2 month period . Think from memory travelled back and forth 4 times 5.5 hour trip each time. Some serious travel time . Would have second thoughts about doing that atm with it.

losh1971 likes this.
  16. afstruct

Members Ride:
    So the the big news is ( I'm insane) .
    Maloo's been at auto trans place all week ,not torque converter, apparently it along with auto and internal wiring all new, as in literally a totally rebuilt box ( which is good) but doesn't solve my issue .
    Spent the day test driving hatches .
    I've given in!!!
    Have bought the newest 4 wheeled vechice I've ever had ( at only 3 years old) and if you include the buell ( my third only new bike ) it's the the 5th most expensive vechice I've ever bought,
    The vu ss being 2nd and the v2 monaro being 1st ( which I traded the vu ss in on ).
    Right at the end of the day I picked the maloo up (it's not playing up atm) unbelievable!!!
    After driving reasonable performance hatches ( can't justify or spend on even a reasonably new warm/hot hatch ( a fiesta st ) just maybe a little too small) .
    And yeah no ute/ 1 tonner for the first time in 22 years, ouch .o
    Yeah, I'm going to not renew rego on the maloo in December ( fortunate enough to to be able to keep and lay it up for a while.
    But just can't afford to keep it regod .

Yeah, anyway , who knows whats going to happen down the track.
    Yeah, anyway I picked it up , it behaved itself, steering so much heavier but feels so much more direct, handling = the same, not as comfortable ,

But fxxk I'm soo going to miss using this thing .

Soooo much more character and personally in it than a modern car .

Except for the reliability bit .
    So
    Also I think as the v2 monaro is the weekender /toy

If it was a hq monaro you'd never consider taking it out except when you want to , which last Friday therefore wouldn't have happened = therefore Ineed a more reliable/ trouble free daily.

Also helps that I've been able to save a bit over the years and that the fuel bill will be substantially reduced as well

losh1971 likes this.
  17. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    So what have you bought ?

18. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Yeah so in writing all this you, get to reflect on your decisions and I partly feel I've given up( stubborn, perserve , hate , but then I remember(hate useing) would I use ( the v2 monaro ) what is the toy if I didn't have to)
    Although I'll get roof racks ( can't fit a kayak in ) , the pushy will actually fit in without having to take the front wheel off.

19. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I was similar when I first got the VS after having a VK 5 litre, M21 for nearly 7 years. 19 yrs later......

20. afstruct

Members Ride:
    I have surprised myself ( and probably others) when they find out ( as in I quess the sensible thing) considering,
    A Hyundai i30 sr premium, (it's got more modern features than I know what to do with) ha ha ha.
    I took it home on the test drive to see if the pushy would fit in and reversed it up pasted the house ( as I do with the maloo and the reversing sensors go off their head ( so annoying). Ha ha ha.
    Google it , I don't know whether it's really a warm hatch, but a huge amount of features and a reasonable amount of performance ( for 2 liter naturally aspirated 4 ) ( on my test drive I pulled onto a 90 km zone , out of the left hander and pretty much much floorded it in 3rd , ok I'm doing 100k just like that) opps!!!
    Dam cheap I think, although high kms , $15000 but super neat and tridy, leather, panoramic roof/ sunroof.
    Very noticeable I think around the 3.5 / 4 revs the step where the variable timing comes in.
    It has nowhere near the low down grunt I'm used to but hopefully I remember/ think fuel savings and when I want to play = monaro ( maybe now I can save and justify the next upgrades to it).

And while I'm thinking now sort maloo's issues before it runs out of rego
    I then realize what's planned for the rest of the year and the likelihood of stuff being sorted is highly unlikely .= hence why I'm a little happier with my decision.