Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Factory clutchfan + shroud is a great set up..works well even on hipo n/a engines.

You can debate it costs a few hp or loads up w/pump bearing but then again so does twin thermo/110 amp alternator setup but grand scheme only a few hp at best.

Engine bay eye candy or clearance issues is more likely to warrant change to thermofan.

But do agree most engine bays look better without the clutchfan + shroud...sound way different without the noisey thing also lol

For a maloo kinda think should always keep clutchfan/shroud with hsv otr as that's way I've always seen & like them

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Thanks guys, yea still thinking about doing thermos, do like the idea of them, but having just spent the money on the clutch fan might as well get value out of it.
Was thinking about keeping the hsv otr intake on even with thermos fitted just have to cut up a shroud and glue it to bottom side of intake to create a tunnel.
My current hsv one isn't even on atm, need to repair it or get another one . Mounting holes were worn and getting worse thing was vibrating around and only going to get worse.
Was thinking what to do when light bulb went on in head and remembered I had a new vs ss one I'd got for last ute and had not got around to fitting it . So it's on complete with red and white warning sticker ,put hand into moving fan and remove radiator cap whilst under pressure ha ha

On a completely different note lucky to still have maloo and it's not a manged written off pile of junk.
Was literally a couple of meters and milliseconds from happening. Luckily no one was physically hurt and only the day dreaming 4x4 ute driving p plater's vehicle was damaged, managed to avoid running up the back of me, avoid on coming traffic . He couldn't avoid the ditch on the side of the road but at least he's only damaged his pride, his ute and of course his wallets going to take a hit.
Was at the back of line waiting to get through a round about, this is in an 80 zone and he looked like he had to be doing 70 or 80, so very lucky!

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
Probably felt weird being the only 2 door there haha, looks like a cool little meet though :)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea , there was 2 other utes , a ve ssv and a vy maloo . mine was definitely the oldest there . next was a vt xu6 and a series 1 vt clubsport , really nice black one , used every day , it's the one furthest over on left side of top photo .
Yea , reptile park was interesting , a good day .
I just met them there as I came down from Newcastle and they come up from Sydney .
Was thinking of joining club for at least a year or 2, see what it's like , would probably only do 3 or 4 events a year because of my location and life and other things still need to happen but really like the idea of taking part in a couple of cruises at lest

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well no more mods , just maintenance/replacing broken bits.
Had been hoping to improve brakes but mods will have to wait until I don't know when, money issues.
Hub time. Replaced LH hub, probably won't regret not doing RH at same time but hopefully it will be a while

The other frustrating thing is that radiator is leaking again, getting it repaired has proved to be a false economy, probably too old and brittle.
So timely overtime has gone on a new radiator and finally hopefully cooling issues are behind me

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So more maintenance, when I did the suspension I put new strut top bearings in. I asked about better ones , was told should do bearings but standard ones would be fine.
So here I am changing them after 18 months as they're shagged. In reality they didn't even last that long.
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20170416_115815_zpsl6ca8env.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20170416_115847_zps34g6ofek.jpg.html] [/URL]
Also found passengers side lower ball joints worn so they should arrive mid week . Also got inner lower control bushes.
So guess what I'm doing next weekend but at least then all the front end bushes are done.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well today ripped the lower control arms out, wire brushed , cleaned and repainted them, installed new inner bushes and ball joints and they're back in the car. Passengers side one was definitely worn. [URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20170424_151340_zpssz1rt7hr.jpg.html] [/URL]
l[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20170424_160046_zpse4bse4vl.jpg.html] [/URL]
Now it's a matter of finding some time to get a wheel alignment.
Also last time they did it they wouldn't balance wheels as it seems I've used extra strong silicone to glue center badges in. Broke them getting them out of the wheels, haven't done rear ones yet. Looks like I have to find another way of attaching them or go back to original ones.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well more maintenance today, along with my cooling/ temperature issues which latest one appears to be the temp gauge I've been thinking of doing the fuel pump and it's been giving what I think was a few warning signs.
So yesterday threw the treadly in the back and went for my normal Saturday arvo ride and when I get back utes starts but won't get pasted 500rpm, does this quite a few times so I know it's not the fuel cut off switch.
So then I have brain fart and call nrma roadside help, wait one and a half hours and he goes you're right it sounds like the fuel pump I'll call a tow truck for you. Wait another 40 minutes for him to turn up. So 4 hours after I finished ride I'm home and beer o'clock.
Bonuses were that repco had a pump in stock, today was a superb day (can't believe it's almost winter) , towy would only drop ute at curb outside house so it would have been fun if it had been wet today.
The other bonus was I only had a 1/4 of a tank, which was great as you have to lift the fuel tank out of the tray. Here's a pic of the old pump [URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20170521_142307_zpswl1elmpz.jpg.html] [/URL]