Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Dam that's no good . Can you put a jack or two under the tank and just drop it down a bit to get to the pump and sender in the sedans or do you have to drop them right down. I can imagine it would be a right pain to try and do it lying on the ground under the car.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You can access the pump with the tank in the car.....the pump is on the front vertical face of the tank.

It's just the amount of fuel in there that causes the issue.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
First commodore pump ever did was brother's Maloo more than a decade ago...what a headfcuk that was getting it towed 30kms,tubliner,1/2 tank of petrol,perished hoses then trying to get f/pump out no instructions,no help or advice haha

Just thinking about dash...voltage regulator issue?

Just fixed dry solder/voltage regulator issue in vp dash..they do really weird things.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well this year because of a change in my situation I had hoped I would just be doing routine maintenance and driving ute but it doesn't want to play that game.
Quite a few little niggling issues, harder suspension has taken a toll the rest of the bushes in the front end that hadn't been changed now have.
Still haven't tried sorting lcd cluster screen and temp gauge.
Had to get it towed home last week, started making this terrible grinding noise , checked it out and thought it was gearbox, dropped it into mechanics yesterday and they fixed a few other things including a wheel alignment and they've confirmed my bad feeling. More than likely planetary gears in the auto.
In the last few weeks I have been contemplating whether to sell it and move on, strangely this event has more than likely made me bite the bullet (it will depend on what the auto guy says ) keep it , get the auto fully overhauled, don't know if they can build them stronger get stage 2 shift kit and then save for ve front brake upgrade get diff built brakes, bearings and hopefully truetrac probably in a 3.7
That'll be all the major items done to some extent in the last 18 months/ 2years,then fingers crossed it'll be good for a while.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I hope it works out for you.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks , what's happened to it has made me realize that what I was disillusioned with is the niggling little reliability and the failure to fix issues first time and lots of them in one foul swoop . I'm sure I'll get and some of what I've mentioned will help , some of the issues are self induced due to mods and have to keep doing some to hopefully get all working together in nice reliable package without turning it into something that you can't or don't want to use every day .
I'm already fortunate enough to have a few that I don't want to use every day even though they could be.
So rang a few places and had a really good chat with two of them and decided to go with the auto shop the mechanic recommend. It's a bit dearer than thought it might be but cheaper than the other place and it sounds like he knows what he's doing and takes great pride in his work . Should end up with a nice strong box for reliability and a bit better performing. He's going to let me know in the next couple of days what he finds and how good or bad it is

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So talked to transmission guy today , planetary gears are stuffed, caused by I think he said the thrust bearing massive failure and collapse which was probably caused by poor oil flow through the trans cooler.
Pic of scrap metal in pan tray.
cTLhMb8.jpg

Like I said dearer than I thought it might be and I imagine some would say that's very expensive but price hasn't changed.
I'll get a box that if I look after it should be easily good for 10 to 15 years. So it all includes a new flex plate, good quality low mileage planetary gear set and associated parts, apparently you can get a wine if they're not matched, heavy duty clutch packs, stronger bands, new trans cooler radiator with lines rerun to bypass the engine radiator, stage 2 shift kit, 2nd gear servo cylinder, stall and converter to match my current setup and he's also fitting a new rear main seal.
Should be done by the middle of next week.
He recons I won't be disappointed, so looking forward to seeing what it's like. Hope I'm not imaging more than what it will really be , because the cost of going this way means I'm committing to spending a bit more on other parts to have it work together and to keep it for at least 5 plus years.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeap, don't think I'm that surprised . I was on my way home, had just pasted the crest of Stockton bridge and it's just let go. Sounded like or worse than imagine if you had put your brake pads in the wrong way round . A very loud dry, gravely metal on metal sound. It would come and go but was there more than not. After I got it home jacked the back up and fired it up and when I worked out it was coming from the gearbox I think I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.
On a positive note it takes away the dilemma of trying to decide what to get next.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Blew vt 5l auto twice,both were tricked out & factory parts let go...went manual ls after that car.

Brother's vs maloo still had original auto in it after 320k...he drove it like he stole it...shift kit & 3.7 gears made that car fun.