Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They break your heart when they're no longer with us but as painful as it is you're forever grateful they were in your life & eventually memories of them will warm your heart.

My ol' boy Buzz the nightmare

50290574_BUZZ.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Man, dog and his ute, perfect combination. Need I say more?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Already had about 8 L of engine oil but Repco has an EOFY sale
So I think I might be right for awhile !!!!!

So a couple months ago found this guy making copies of the STARR airbox.
Ordered one a couple of weeks ago.
It turned up this arvo.

So pretty much looks like I'll end up going the STARR stuff with the 355 build.
Yes it's limiting but is going to be a street car /cruiser.
Might do the drags a few times for fun and see how it/me goes.
Am leaning towards overkill on the bottom end so can step up top end if want.

Anyway the manifold I have heard of a guy/business in VIC that does extrude honing $1k plus postage =fxxxk.
Am contemplating cut base off , port runners and then get welded back up ( I don't think my TIG would cope and I'd rather pay ).
Get it ceramic coated , make a steel oil splash tray ( hoping you can seal so no oil gets to the bottom of the manifold and can then stick one of these heat blankets to the under side of the manifold.

Anyway =the airbox wasn't cheap , seems pretty good quality.
He only primed it and left the clips off as I'm undecided but leaning towards painting the lid in the Maloos body colour.

I do have a question ? as there's no mounting holes for the box itself and it can't just sit there.
Hoping @EYY chimes in , I'm sure I've read where he has a genuine one.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
He only primed it and left the clips off as I'm undecided but leaning towards painting the lid in the Maloos body colour.
Yes!
Definitely colour matched to the body.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Already had about 8 L of engine oil but Repco has an EOFY sale
So I think I might be right for awhile !!!!!

So a couple months ago found this guy making copies of the STARR airbox.
Ordered one a couple of weeks ago.
It turned up this arvo.

So pretty much looks like I'll end up going the STARR stuff with the 355 build.
Yes it's limiting but is going to be a street car /cruiser.
Might do the drags a few times for fun and see how it/me goes.
Am leaning towards overkill on the bottom end so can step up top end if want.

Anyway the manifold I have heard of a guy/business in VIC that does extrude honing $1k plus postage =fxxxk.
Am contemplating cut base off , port runners and then get welded back up ( I don't think my TIG would cope and I'd rather pay ).
Get it ceramic coated , make a steel oil splash tray ( hoping you can seal so no oil gets to the bottom of the manifold and can then stick one of these heat blankets to the under side of the manifold.

I do have a question ? as there's no mounting holes for the box itself and it can't just sit there.
Hoping @EYY chimes in , I'm sure I've read where he has a genuine one.
I still have mine - it’s at my parents place, I’ll be there over the weekend. Will take some pics and post them

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeap @Deuce 99% sure , semi gloss black for lower part ( in and out ) and inside lid and then body colour for outer of lid with the 5 lower strips at the forward inboard corner and lettering possibly the same gray as the rocker , fuel rails and throttle body covers. See how my mediocre painting skills go !

Was only going to look how fits and then go and order a pod filter and some sort of intake tube.

That plan went out the window !!!!!!!

How it sat in position on the 3 mounting studs

Way too high = of course !!!!!
Lots of dirt on bonnet and guard = it's been sitting !!! With no cover on ( should wash and put cover on ) even though have decided to repaint = couldn't tell you when that's gonna happen.

A bit of a brain fart yesterday= it has to get bolted down = can't just bounce around.
SO picked up holes = and it's bolted down.

Sits better

Still not perfect ( don't have one of those borescope cameras = I need one ) so can't be 100% but think the front corner of the bonnet was still sitting a few mm high.
Could remove or cut insulation bonnet blanket =but not a fan of this idea.

This is where it all went pear shaped grrrrr !!!
Gotta love workin on / moding older cars

Got 2 of the studs undone but outboard 1 sheared off so now ( I gave up today ) need to drill easyout maybe even grind the base plate off .
Now I need another = for original/return to standard if required !
They are 2 separate studs on plates bonded together with a rubber insert to allow a little flexibility ( understandable as intake tube/rubber clamps to the airbox).
For the Starr will need 3 bolts/washers and and some thinner rubber .
Airbox can be more ridged mounted as intake hole is way bigger and will seal with a flexible foam around intake tube /filter==hopefully !!!!

Thanks @EYY much appreciated = as above some progress but would still appreciate photos especially of clips holding lid on/down ( I can't see any joy in trying to clip up 3 of them.
Also photo of intake hole and dimensions would be great .
This one is 110mm on the lower ( horizontal )( can trim a little ) and 124 vertically ( at it's lowest= don't know even if that's possible = as depends on where clips attach and hold ).

Figure on putting /attaching /gluing a flexible foam around = allow movement but restrict intake tube/filter and have airbox more solid mounted.
Would like to glue some rubber or foam around either bottom or lid but don't know whether that will work as =some is very tight.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
0t6wE7h.jpg

aQEJZLl.jpg

zwIP8O8.jpg

wJXsKn8.jpg

qY2uub2.jpg

Clips are very weak and only work on spring tension - they’re not actually over centre clips (no real force holding the lid down - just holds the lid in position).

The only thing you need is a little bit of foam on the intake pipe hole to prevent any rubbing and to keep hot air out of the airbox (wishful thinking lol). You’d rigid mount the airbox, run flexible ducting through the intake to your pod filter which is rigidly mounted to the body (make a bracket for the filter that picks up off the airbox mounting studs).
AgLof5v.jpg

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks @ EYY , mine looks almost the same. He did say he made molds/plugs off an original.
He's supplied the same sort of clips , drilled off ready to install after I paint but 2 of them are in different locations.
As I said ones at the very front so really can't see how would clip up when in position.
I will probably move these two to where the intake tube goes threw , same as yours.

Edit: OK I just looked at mine again and rivet hole spacings.
Forget that moving 2 of the clips
While the clips look the same I think the lower half is taller than the originals ( just guessing off pictures views of rivet spacing ). Guess I'll sort something out.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So no photos and nothing more has happened with the Starr airbox but last use was guessing a week before I got the airbox ( Sunday out to lunch with the missus ).

Was really wanting to use ( more than a month since was that).
So fitted the factory airbox and took it up to the missus place and have used it Saturday, Sunday and today= I'm still smiling.

Have been thinking mod the Starr manifold , get another set of heads = a little refurb etc and knock 0.030" off them = more compression, shorter pushrods to suite , or maybe even another cam = crow cams 4503 , 113lsa 227/220 @ 0.050" 0.486 Lift
Has their 4502 , 113 lsa 218/214 @ 0.050" 0.485 lift in it now = been in for about 44k kms.
It wouldn't be getting a stall to suite the newer cam = stock stall in now.

Give me a better idea whether I'm gonna be happy with the STARR and then hopefully next year cosmetic refurb and 355 down the track.

Heading home this arvo thinking ( Buell needs pink slip this week ) = got me thinking !!!! KMs this year= since DEC 2021 rego , doesn't read the last 2 digits , so = now 199900 to 199300.

Pretty sure I got this on the 12/08/2012 ( was August ) = so 10 years ownership !!!

In that time = a daily drive ( including almost 600k one way to country NSW JOB = country roads = what a hoot !! ).
Was 85500km when bought = so a bit under 11500 km a year in my ownership and a bit under 7700 km a year overall.

Also means later this year I'll be going = HEY look 200k kms !!!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm quite happy wiht the 4503 as a good all rounder cam, even on stock compression it runs quite well, but anything extra you can throw at it is desirable.

I think the stock converter might be pushing it a bit though, the 4503 doesn't really come on song until 2500+RPM and also it's idle is a bit grumpy I reckon you'll have to be pretty heavy on the brake pedal at the lights.

Also if you take 30 thou off the heads you can get away with running 30 thou shims on the rocker pedestal (I think crane does them) which will fix up your geometry rather than buying new pushrods.

I'll probably go something with a 108 or 110 LSA for my next combo though.

I think having the 4502 now you probably won't see much gain in a 4503 on a stock engine to justify it unless your after it for the idle characteristics to be honest. The head skim will wake it up a lot more than the change from a 4502 to 4503 would.