Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Greetings from my ute in the U.S.......

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
This is a story of my Holden ute. So what's so interesting about this, you might be asking..... Everyone knows what these are, as these are as common as any other car, right? What makes my story so unique and interesting is this: I live in Tucson, Arizona, USA, and I own a Holden ute, NONE were imported into North America and are basically considered "illegal" here (some would say "banned"). So how did I get it? This is my story.

As recent as six years ago, I had never seen nor heard of a "ute". I did not know the meaning of this word, other than a tribe of North American Indians that live in the state of Utah, called Utes. Back in the 50's thru the 80's, Chevy did make the El Camino and for a shorter period of time, Ford produced the Ranchero. But oddly enough, the term "ute" was never used here. In fact, we really did not have a formal name for this body style and many just called it a "car-truck". I know, I was one of these!

Then one day six years ago, I came across a youtube video that had a Holden ute in it. "What a beautiful style!", I said to myself. I have always been a true car guy, called "gearheads" here. Once I laid eyes on this video, I began to wonder if it was even remotely possible to own such a vehicle. In all my years, I have NEVER seen one.

My search for information officially started, which turned into many periods of frustration and anger. I cannot begin to tell you how many phone calls and e-mails I sent, both in the U.S. and also Australia... all leading to dead ends.

Then about two years ago, I was looking at El Caminos for sale on eBay and to my amazement, there was an ad for a 2011 Holden ute for $5000 USD, but it was basically a rolling shell with a severely bent frame, no front clip, drivetrain or interior. I was not interested, but called anyway, hoping to get information. This is when it was explained to me that U.S. customs will not allow a RHD (right-hand drive) vehicle newer than 25 years old into the country. However, if it is disassembled prior to crating and shipping, it can be brought into the country. I asked, "To what degree of 'disassembly'?" The following must be removed and cannot be imported:

Engine / Transmission / Headlights / Glass / Wipers / Airbags / Seat Belts / Front Seats / Fuel Tank (petrol tank I believe?)

To the best of my knowledge, the one exception is the unique glass, but these these panels cannot be installed on the vehicle. Basically, a rolling shell..... even when you start with a perfectly good running vehicle... I thought my God man, seriously??? What kind of cost would all this involve? Then, once you get it here, I'd have to buy a donor vehicle for the parts to re-engineer it to a LHD. Essentially, if the perfectly good running used ute is purchased for $15k, say..... by the time I get it running here, it would cost approx three to four times that, or up to $60k... and a minimum of two years once it arrives. And I would have to find someone qualified to do the labor. My wife said, "Ahhh, NO!" It was soooo discouraging.... I would search Autotrader.com.au and see HUNDREDS of utes for sale, yet I could not realistically buy any. Total frustration......

Long story short: Through a series of national and international phone calls, I found an ex-Aussie living in North Carolina. He received his citizenship when he married a U.S. citizen, and moved here years ago. He said he had TWO utes, both already converted to LHD, and that he would consider selling one, but only to the "right person". We chatted for months and finally agreed that I would fly cross country to purchase it.

What I bought was a beautiful Phantom Black ute with black interior, but it was reassembled with parts from various ute models and a donor G8. It has many HSV parts also. One of the parts I would love to change are the seats. My seats had to come out of the G8, and it being a sedan, does not have the quick release levers to access the area behind. I would love to put in black VE Maloo seats, but this is just a dream at this time because of the logistics of getting a pair across the ocean.

I get tons of attention when I drive her and at car shows too. It's amazing to me that out of 100 people I talk to, 95 have never heard or seen a ute (just like I was), four will know what it is because they have been Down Under, and one shows the most knowledge by asking, "How did you get it here?" The other funny thing is the word "ute" is not in the American vocabulary. People I talk to have a difficult time saying it, so I show them the Holden dealership brochure which says, "Ute". In talking with countless people over these 5 plus years, we all agree that there's probably only two dozen or so utes in North America.

My father-in-law was a career man at the GM Fisher Body Plant in Flint, Michigan. Sadly, he passed away before I discovered the ute. I know he would have LOVED seeing and driving it...

All this has been a dream come true (except the frustrations) and my ute will stay in my family for as long as I'm breathing. My wish is to visit your wonderful country some day. It would be another dream come true. I know I would love it. Everyone seems to be happy and makes strangers feel at home...

Willie

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Awesome story.
Photos required.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Aye !!!!

Also, Left Hand Utes in Denver sell converted cars.

Seem to be around the USD$50k mark.

Last edited:

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I did talk to Left Hand Utes to inquire about their pricing. Basically I was interested in their labor cost for conversion because I felt I could do everything else myself. They said the cost is $25k USD for labor only, that I would have to supply the parts, including a donor G8 with transportation of this car to their shop. I don't have a money tree in my backyard, so this was out of the question. So to find the ute I purchased was like hitting the lottery.

I live in Southern Arizona, in the Sonoran Desert, which is in our version of the outback. This pic is my front yard with a 23-year-old saguaro (pronounced su - wah - row, "g" is silent). This cactus is unique to the Sonoran Desert. The arms started to sprout when it was 20 years old and still growing.

Here are two pics. It has an HSV bonnet, instrument cluster and an LS3. The front bar is a custom, one-off part made by forming an upper Pontiac G8 with a Holden lower with all grille mounts shaved for the open grille look. I have an E2 front bar that I will eventually install. The rear bumper cover is also a one-off piece. I plan on keeping it. Lastly, it has a Holden slimline hardlid (I was never given a key so I cannot lock it, lol), but no worries because I also have a Maloo hardlid and sailplanes I will install one day. The wheels are Corvette C5 Z06 in chrome.

Willie
21822a.jpg
21825a.jpg

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Yeah, that car is going to stick out like dog nuts in the US...great story btw !!!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I did talk to Left Hand Utes to inquire about their pricing. Basically I was interested in their labor cost for conversion because I felt I could do everything else myself. They said the cost is $25k USD for labor only, that I would have to supply the parts, including a donor G8 with transportation of this car to their shop. I don't have a money tree in my backyard, so this was out of the question. So to find the ute I purchased was like hitting the lottery.

Fair enough. Certainly not a cheap exercise.

The front bar is a custom, one-off part made by forming an upper Pontiac G8 with a Holden lower with all grille mounts shaved for the open grille look....The rear bumper cover is also a one-off piece.

Interested to see pics of the front and rear bars.

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
Yeah, that car is going to stick out like dog nuts in the US...great story btw !!!

Yep. In fact, on our cross country journey driving the ute home, every stop we made there was at least one person asking about it. Then as we were driving through west Texas, we were pulled over by the Texas Highway Patrol. One of the troopers approached me and said, "We just have to know what this is." We chatted for 20 minutes and even took pics! This was only the beginning of a wonderful, ongoing experience. I cannot drive her anywhere without people yelling at me at stoplights or following me into parking lots or home.

Fair enough. Certainly not a cheap exercise.

Got that right...! I only assume similar for you guys to import a U.S. vehicle...

Interested to see pics of the front and rear bars.

I will post many more pics and post them here including my number plate. It's a personalized Arizona specialty plate. I get lots of cool comments on it too...

Willie
Pulled Over in Texas.jpg

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Great story but so sad too. Holden could have exported this to the USA but GM Detroit would not allow it, something to do with taking sales away from their trucks i think. well it was around the time of the GFC too so that also would have thrown a spanned in the works.
The Holden Ute is a great vehicle, i have owned three examples in the past, VU, VY and VEII.
Back in 2004 my VY was putting 303kw to the wheels, such a weapon in the day (not too bad by today’s standards either).