Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding Noise from engine...?

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
Hey,

I have a 92' VP. When im accelerating, there is a loud grinding noise from what sounds like the front of the gearbox, or back of the engine....Feels like its coming from just below the radio console, and maybe a little bit to the front of it. Only happens under acceleration...just sounds like my engine is worn to sh*t...like there is parts of it just broken off and bouncing around...but yeah, only happens under acceleration. Hard to describe, like a loose grinding noise, quite loud...any ideas?

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
could be tail sahft having a wack againts the car, is you catr lowered?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
possibly check the centre hanger bearing ofthe drive shaft, however, when this is worn it normally shows with a vibration which you can feel under your butt. could also possibly be a main shaft bearing in the trans/input shaft bearing?? maybe drain some of the transfluid, does it smell burnt, does it look like their metal shavings in there??

edit:assuming this is an auto, if its a manual it could be the thrust bearing forthe clutch but would be more apparent when operatingthe clutch. but again drain the box and check the oil for signs of wear/tear

DanielG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp berlina
I know no one has been on this thread for a very long while but hopefully someone will see this. My car just started doing this the other day and naturally I haven't driven it since. How much would something like this set me back? I have the car booked into a mechanic next week to fix a weeping fuel tank and if I can get both done at once but without having to get a loan to get it fixed it'd be great lol. Being a student money is certainly hard to come by at the moment :(