Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding/scraping noises when computer uses brakes?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It may be performing too many locks per second, releasing the rotor to much, smacking the disc too hard or all of the above. Remember the OP is interpreting grinding, it may in fact be nothing like grinding or it could even be expected operation. The fact is normal braking was reported as fine.

I've had faulty ABS mimic brake grinding before, the sign it was an ABS issue was that the only time it occurred was when the ABS light was on. Was just a dirty LHS sensor, sounded like Armageddon.

Many folk who have engaged ABS for the first (and potentially only) time in their lives often misinterpret the function as a fault.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Ah, my mistake i didn't read it properly where it was stated its fine under normal braking..

Could it then be an issue with the ABS system?

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I have a VZ Calais and when ABS or ESP has to brake it makes a grinding noise.

Everything works fine.

Pretty sure it supposed to do it. Noise comes from whatever corner of the car the computer is applying brakes too.

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
I have a VZ Calais and when ABS or ESP has to brake it makes a grinding noise.

Everything works fine.

Pretty sure it supposed to do it. Noise comes from whatever corner of the car the computer is applying brakes too.

Hi guys,

Maybe it is normal operation. The sound could be mistaken for the car bottoming out (which it wasn't) - But funnily enough my passenger thought that's what it was until I told him otherwise. Like a scraping underneath the car in the front end (when the front was in the mud etc.)

I'll ask to have the pads/rotors checked during it's service next week.

Thanks guys :)