Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding/scraping noises when computer uses brakes?

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
Hi guys,

My Adventra is making a weird grinding/scraping sound which is very audible inside the car in the following situations:

1) Hill decent control applies brakes

2) In mud (I assume this is the computer applying brakes during wheel spin)

3) When I get her a bit sideways in the dirt and 'ESP Assistance' comes up on the dash. I assume this is when the ESP applies braking to whichever tyres to help understeer/oversteer/whatever it does.

I'm guessing this is when the computer applies the brakes. It doesn't happen normally. After a powercruise I notice a rubbing sound while the brakes are still hot since I've done a lot of hard braking, otherwise the brakes never make any noise during normal operating and seem fine (Although nowhere near as responsive and much stiffer than my VY Commy).

Also, a quick unrelated question while I'm here. Is the air compressor for the auto ride leveling supposed to be audible? I guess it'd be less noticable in the V8 adventras.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Try changing brake pads or machining your rotors. Should at least narrow down any problems.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
No.
To be honest you're lucky in a service to get any fluids other than your oil and coolant checked. If you mention the issues when you book your car in they will do it on the same job and it will save you money on having two jobs done at once rather than two trips to the mechanics.

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
Ok I'll ask them to check my brake pads. I don't have the braking shakes characteristic of rotors being worn out but this is an AWD so I don't know if it happens with these like in RWD cars.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Our Subaru Liberty does a little steering wheel wobble but no grinding, so you could probably cut that off the list.
Grinding is most likely pads wearing thin. They'll let you know if you're running out of brakes.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
To me it sounds like possibly a combination of rotors and pads needing to be replaced, hopefully just pads wearing thin and needing replacement.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I doubt it would be a rotor pad issue if normal braking is fine, that's when you put the most pressure on the system. The ECU runs off sensors which are all pulse based including the application of brakes, just like ABS. It could be something as simple as a dirty/faulty sensor sending bad data.