Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding/scraping sound when reversing?

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
I don't post in here as often as most (or as I should), mainly because compared to majority of users I don't know a hell of a lot about the workings of commodore's... ANYHOW... I have a problem.

My VE, for the last month, in the mornings (when it's cold) when I reverse, I get a TERRIBLE grinding/scraping sound. I am going to take it to the mechanic & get him to check out what's going on, but it's more just getting the time to get there. I probably should have tried to have a look underneath, but, well, I'm a girl.. I'm not getting on my knees.. Well not to look underneath my car anyhow... And I've got no idea what I'm looking at anyhow.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Reason I'm asking if anyone knows anything about it, then I can get an idea of how much work I need to get done & how long I won't have my car for....

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Can you narrow down where on the car the sound is coming from? Front, back, driver's or passenger's side? It really could be anything from a mechanical fault to the neighbour's cat stuck under there at this stage. Is it a metal-on-concrete sound like something has fallen down or a mechanical grind?

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
I had a listen this morning - it sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car... I can't really pin point if it's the driver side or passenger though, sorry. Hopefully that helps :)

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I'm not getting on my knees.. Well not to look underneath my car anyhow

Haha, probably your best bet is to stop by your mechanics for like 5mins and get them to have a quick look at what is going on.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Probably rocks stuck in the brakes and you only notice it in reverse because it slow

Darks

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6
I have a similar issue, golden thinks it's my abs self leveling test, apparently some cars are louder than others.

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
I have a similar issue, golden thinks it's my abs self leveling test, apparently some cars are louder than others.

Oooh dear... Thinking maybe the amount of peroxide from the hairdressers tonight has seeped into my brain... Read this reply, in my head went, WTF have your abs got to do with your car?

Feel a bit stupid thinking that now, especially after just having read the entire thread about stupid sh!t chicks do to cars.

But in all seriousness, thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate it... Fingers crossed it's something like a rock.

paulmac272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Phantom Black Ute MY10 M6
Does it only make the sound when its cold and your braking while reversing. Mines done it since new. Took it back to Holden, they told me it was something to do with ABS and they were aware of the problem. They still haven't been able to fix it. They basically told me its not causing any problems. I wonder if its been fixed in the series 2.

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
Does it only make the sound when its cold and your braking while reversing.

Yes when cold, but no not when braking. Does it when my foot is not on the brakes. I won't get a chance to get in to see my mechanic this week, will more than likely see him at the footy grandfinal this weekend - will bail him up & suss it out lol.

STOCKY SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yeah, I have a similar issue. It seems to happen only when the car is cold and when you put the auto into reverse. Even with the foot on the brake the noise is apparent.
If you let the car idle for 5 min you dont get anything and all is normal. I would tend to think you need to let the car idle for abit to get the oils moving about before selecting reverse.
I would be interested in finding out whats actually happening when the noise is about.