Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding sound rear left

antsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Hi Guys, im new here and also to Holdens, I used to be a Toyota driver.
I have a question, i had all my rotors machined and 120k service by a holden dealer, now i have this grinding sound from rear left wheel, noticeable when going slow and driving past parked cars or a wall. Took it back and the said the handbreak shoe was rubbing and re adjusted the hand break and all was good. 1 week later that sound has come back. Bearings apparently are fine also. The car rides on stock wheels and suspension.
Thanks
Ant

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
G'day mate!
Pretty good chance it's the same problem again, bring it back again, they're obviously not adjusting the hand brake properly. Older commodores also have a stone guard behind the rear disc, not sure if it's on the vz but if so, it could have been bumped and be rubbing on the disc. It's just a plate of steel behind the disc, could try pushing it away from the disc a bit.

antsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Thanks Fraklinfrog, I was thinking that might be the case, but its just a pain that it happened again. I thought it might be the machined rotor and i might just have to replace them with new ones

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Does it make a whoosh whoosh whoosh noise? I would prob say its just the handbrake again, mine did it as well so I know the frustration

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Sounds like the same problem as my VY. You can adjust the shoe all you want but the noise will come back on mine. Apparently a common fault for the VY, and Holden released something called a "biased spring kit" to fix it. Maybe the VZ suffers the same issue?

It's a kit that levels the shoe properly using the tension of a small spring that you install with the kit, I think it's about 50 bucks from Holden. I haven't got around to buying and installing it yet though.

antsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Yeah its a whoosh, whoosh sound gets faster with gas then goes away comes back with coasting with no gas at low speed.