Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gross Vehicle Mass

Gru

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VF SSv
Hi, Trying to find the GVM for my vehicle (S1 SSv 6.0L Auto Sedan).

GMH don't specify it anywhere within their technical specs and seem reluctant to give it when asked (being fobbed off).

Appreciate any advice. TIA

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Maz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R M6
Snip from https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradie...re-kerb-gvm-payload-and-trailer-figures-73041

Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) or Weight (GVW)
This is the maximum your vehicle can weigh when fully loaded as specified by the manufacturer. You will usually find this GVM figure on the vehicle's weight placard (generally found in the driver's door opening) or in the owner's manual. So GVM is the Kerb Mass plus all accessories (bull bars, roof racks, winches etc) and payload (see below). And if you're towing something, GVM includes the Tow Ball Download.​

I checked Redbook and GVM is not listed there.
Is GVM listed on your rego or insurance paperwork?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

GMH don't specify it anywhere within their technical specs and seem reluctant to give it when asked (being fobbed off).

They don't want anyone to know, 'coz they're embarrassed how porky they are...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

The GVM for a Series 2 VF is on the compliance plate located on the passenger side 'B' pillar.

My VF2 Redline Ute is quoted as 2385kg.

Check your owner's manual as it tells you where to find it.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
GVM is not curb or tare weight. as said just check your compliance plate in the passenger doorway.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
All the specs should be listed in the owners manual.
Under the Technical data pages 315-317 we have:

Maximum vehicle carry capacity sedan: 480kg
Maximum vehicle carry capacity wagon: 480kg (other than evoke), 550kg (evoke)

Axle loads sedan front/rear: 1080kg/1300kg V6, 1100kg/1300 V8
Axle load wagon evoke front/rear: 1080kg/1425kg
Axle load wagon calaisv front rear: 1080kg/1370kg V6, 1100kg/1367kg V8
Axle load ss,ssv,redline front/rear: 1100kg/1370kg

Just take note that GVM =/ front + rear axle load !

So, the maximum vehicle carry capacity allows you to determine if you have overloaded your vehicle by adding the weight of all the things placed within or on your car. So having 4x 80kg blokes in an SSV, along with a 25 kg tow bar added as an accessory and 5kg of floor mats chucked inside to keep the carpets in good nick means that you have used up 350kg (80*4+25+5) of your maximum vehicle carry capacity. Or put another way, you have another 130kg (480-350) of stuff you can throw into the vehcile assuming you are not towing.

Presumably the maximum carry capacity has factored into it a full tank of fuel but this is not stated anywhere so it's an assumption. And since the convention is that Tare weight assumes 10 litres of fuel is in the tank while Curb weight assumes a full tank of fuel, we have around 60kg of uncertainty as the Holden owners manual doesn't clarify the situation at all. So, maybe we don't have 130kg of stuff we can throw into the car before we head off as we may need to fill up the tank and thus the the true figure is closer to 70kg's (130-60) since we need the fuel to get to where we want to go :oops: Thanks for teh clarity Holden :mad:

Also under Driving and Operation, pages 234-239 we have:

Maximum braked towing capacity sedan: 1200kg/1600kg (man) 2100kg (auto)
Maximum braked towing capacity wagon: 1200kg/1600kg (man) 2100kg (auto)
Maximum unbraked trailer: 750kg (all variants)

Sadly, there is no mention of max towball weight within the owners manual (that i picked up on in the quick scan of it) but luckily the maximum tow ball static weight must be specified on the towbar complance sticker that was fitted to the drivers B-pillar. In my case the towbar compliance sticker states "max. static ball load 210kg".

So, if we want to chuck a big trailer onto the tow bar and head off with the mates, 210kgs must be subtracted from what is left of the maximum carry capacity which is either 130kg or 80kg, because Holden is not being clear about fuel weight. End result is that it means we have overloaded the vehicle by either 80kgs or 130kg if we must also fill the tank with fuel. Guess someone or someting neds to be tossed out and ain't going on holiday :oops:

Added to this mess, we need to know the Gross Trailer Mass and ensure it is less thatn the rated tow bar capacity for a braked trailer. In my case the tow bar complience sticker states this is 2100kgs. Then we need to know the Tare Trailer Mass so we can calculate how much crap we can throw in the trailer without overloading it. In the same tocken we need to ensure we are below the trailer axle loads.

To add more thinking to the mix, the tyres themselves have a load rating and if we have put in lower rated tyres, we must ensure we factor this into the mix when loading the vehicle/trailer.

The fact that Holden has not better presented all the information within the owners manual, so that owners ensure they understand the vehicle limits and can therefore tow safely beggars belief. The fact that Holden Customer Care can't or wont get such information and provide it to an owner is simply shocking but not surprising (as HCC are often as helpful as a titt on a bull).

That's why i fly when going on holidays. Airlines are crystal clear as to what weight luggage i can take :p Holden not so much it seems o_O

Gru

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VF SSv
Snip from https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradie...re-kerb-gvm-payload-and-trailer-figures-73041

Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) or Weight (GVW)
This is the maximum your vehicle can weigh when fully loaded as specified by the manufacturer. You will usually find this GVM figure on the vehicle's weight placard (generally found in the driver's door opening) or in the owner's manual. So GVM is the Kerb Mass plus all accessories (bull bars, roof racks, winches etc) and payload (see below). And if you're towing something, GVM includes the Tow Ball Download.​

I checked Redbook and GVM is not listed there.
Is GVM listed on your rego or insurance paperwork?

No, looked but no reference

Gru

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VF SSv
The GVM for a Series 2 VF is on the compliance plate located on the passenger side 'B' pillar.

My VF2 Redline Ute is quoted as 2385kg.

Check your owner's manual as it tells you where to find it.

Car is a sedan. Apparently not a requirement

Gru

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VF SSv

So, the maximum vehicle carry capacity allows you to determine if you have overloaded your vehicle by adding the weight of all the things placed within or on your car. So having 4x 80kg blokes in an SSV, along with a 25 kg tow bar added as an accessory and 5kg of floor mats chucked inside to keep the carpets in good nick means that you have used up 350kg (80*4+25+5) of your maximum vehicle carry capacity. Or put another way, you have another 130kg (480-350) of stuff you can throw into the vehcile assuming you are not towing.

Presumably the maximum carry capacity has factored into it a full tank of fuel but this is not stated anywhere so it's an assumption. And since the convention is that Tare weight assumes 10 litres of fuel is in the tank while Curb weight assumes a full tank of fuel, we have around 60kg of uncertainty as the Holden owners manual doesn't clarify the situation at all. So, maybe we don't have 130kg of stuff we can throw into the car before we head off as we may need to fill up the tank and thus the the true figure is closer to 70kg's (130-60) since we need the fuel to get to where we want to go :oops: Thanks for teh clarity Holden :mad:

Sadly, there is no mention of max towball weight within the owners manual (that i picked up on in the quick scan of it) but luckily the maximum tow ball static weight must be specified on the towbar complance sticker that was fitted to the drivers B-pillar. In my case the towbar compliance sticker states "max. static ball load 210kg".

So, if we want to chuck a big trailer onto the tow bar and head off with the mates, 210kgs must be subtracted from what is left of the maximum carry capacity which is either 130kg or 80kg, because Holden is not being clear about fuel weight. End result is that it means we have overloaded the vehicle by either 80kgs or 130kg if we must also fill the tank with fuel. Guess someone or someting neds to be tossed out and ain't going on holiday :oops:

Added to this mess, we need to know the Gross Trailer Mass and ensure it is less thatn the rated tow bar capacity for a braked trailer. In my case the tow bar complience sticker states this is 2100kgs. Then we need to know the Tare Trailer Mass so we can calculate how much crap we can throw in the trailer without overloading it. In the same tocken we need to ensure we are below the trailer axle loads.

To add more thinking to the mix, the tyres themselves have a load rating and if we have put in lower rated tyres, we must ensure we factor this into the mix when loading the vehicle/trailer.

The fact that Holden has not better presented all the information within the owners manual, so that owners ensure they understand the vehicle limits and can therefore tow safely beggars belief. The fact that Holden Customer Care can't or wont get such information and provide it to an owner is simply shocking but not surprising (as HCC are often as helpful as a titt on a bull).

That's why i fly when going on holidays. Airlines are crystal clear as to what weight luggage i can take :p Holden not so much it seems o_O

Thanks for a most comprehensive response. I've consoled myself Holden aren't going to be forthcoming with this info. So, I'll work with your figures and cross fingers.