Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ground loop issue

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
hey i got a ground loop isolator, and it worked a bit, but another question, i have to split my rcas 3 times, i have one comming from the head unit, and then i split it so that i have 2 for my 4 channel amp and 1 for the sub, the question is: will the ground loop isolator be sufficiant to use before i split the rcas or do i need an individual ground loop isolator for each split i have created?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You shouldnt need a ground loop isolator period. Ive been installing amps for over 10 years and never used or needed one.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
hey, thanks, i just tested the ground loop isolator with just one set of rcas plugged in, and the buzz is still there. could there be a problem with the amp itself or what else can cause distortion in the midrange?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
If you've got the gains on the amps turned up too high, you'll get hissing noise. Also, if your power wires and RCA's run alongside each other at all - even for a metre or so in the boot, then combined with gains too high, you'll get interference from that. That's all I can think of at the moment..

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
to expand on holden boy, try removing the source to see if the loop is in the h/u or amps. next try a different source unit (CD, old h/u, whatever) Once you are sure it is a component, make sure none of the chassis is touching the cars chassis. then if it is still there try a new ground or even use a seperate car battery to power the h/u for clean power.

mate just try thanging components. There is no "easy" way to do this.