Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Group C Big Banger Spec Help

Retro Boy

Time Traveller
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Currently building a standard VK with Group C Big Banger running gear.
So it will kind of look original on the outside and interior, but perform as a bit of a racer.
My subtle tribute car.
I know the specs of the suspension and wheels / tyres, carby, diff and trans.
As far as the heads and manifold go, were they Brock heads or were they Yella Terra?
He did some ads for Yella Terra, so I'm suspecting they may have supplied him with the heads.
And the intake manifold, was it the Brock one modified with a plate to suit the webbers?
Last question, sorry guys, anyone know where I can buy the metal, not HDT (fibreglass) proper Group C (Commodore Cup) cold air tray from?

Many thanks for any advice.

P.S. I picked up an original Saas Euro in mint condition, same type that I think Gricey and used even Johnson used in the early 80's.
Anyone remember those Saas Euro wheel ads :)

Retro Boy

Time Traveller
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
So it will kind of look original on the outside and interior, but perform as a bit of a racer.
My subtle tribute car.
As far as the heads and manifold go, were they Brock heads or were they Yella Terra?
He did some ads for Yella Terra, so I'm suspecting they may have supplied him with the heads.
And the intake manifold, was it the Brock one modified with a plate to suit the webbers?
Last question, sorry guys, anyone know where I can buy the metal, not HDT (fibreglass) proper Group C (Commodore Cup) cold air tray from?

P.S. I picked up an original Saas Euro in mint condition, same type that I think Gricey and used even Johnson used in the early 80's.

Anyone know, at all? :(

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Brock forums would probably be the best place to ask these sorts of questions.

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
the originals were b-cast heads, i think they were originally machined by yt ( which would be the closest you'd get to them these days )

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Facing of the cylinder heads was permitted provided the final dimensions are within the manufactures tolerances, and the resultant combustion chamber capacity is not less than that specified in the "Recognition Document". Piston assemblies were free but the compression ratio must not exceed 10.5:1 or the ratio specified on the relevant "Recognition Document". Exhaust system & camshaft were free components (roller cam followers were not permitted, valve head diameter & seat angle had to be the same as the standard component), Crankshafts were free except that of the stroke, phasing & travel must be as on the original crankshaft. The inlet manifold had to be a standard factory component (all as per CAMs Group C Production Touring Cars rules valid 31/12/1984), carberation was a free component hence why HDT went for a pair of webbers, the front carb was set facing slightly forward & the rear slightly back to improve the air flow into them utilizing a custom cold air tray with a simple gauze. Unsure who made the adaptor plate to accommodate the webbers, good luck.

Craig Steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
What were the specs of the wheels ie: width and backspace?

My subtle tribute car.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Why dont you just sell your house or take out another huge loan and goto the auction happening at bathurst and buy the original vk big banger brocky raced at bathurst. I have a feeling this car will collect some massive coin as well as his toranas. Nothing better than having the realt thing. Ive pondered the idea but the mrs isnt keen at all.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
I did some research prior to building mine (I've built a road car version), wheels & tyres are the hardest parts to find or replicate.

From memory I thought HDT used 16x10 Momo AP racing rims on the VK Group C day-glow cars & painted them white, I couldn't find anything similar at the time in Australia so elected to use 15 inch Weld ProStar 15x10 rear & 15x8 front (imported from the US, multiple copies available as well), tyres are the next headache as 15 inch tyres sizes are limited compared with the early 80's. I ended up using 265/50 rear & 225/60 front but could have gone with 295/50 on the rear. A mate of mine built a replica VK 05 race car and got set a of used 15" slicks off a "muscle car".

Some have had rims specially made in the $1,500 - 2,000 each range ($6-8k), that way you can specify the backspace & diameter.

Rear prior to powder coating:
IMG_0165.JPG

Front powder-coated & decals:
fullsizeoutput_117e.jpeg

Mine finished:
fullsizeoutput_1de8.jpeg

Actual 05 race car:
IMG_0026.JPG

Last edited:

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Those wheels and flares look hot. The rear bar look a tiny bit awkward but you dont notice it as much on the race car probably due to the colour and art. Very tidy and tuff

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
When you're driving it & look out the rear window it doesn't look tiny!!!!

fullsizeoutput_3812.jpeg