Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Growler Cold Air Intake Question

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Hi all. I'll keep it short

I drive a 2010 Sidi sv6 ute, after searching the forums why do some people hate on the ss inductions growler CAI? What's wrong with them? Surely it's better than stock? Is there anything better (that doesn't require tuning)?

I'll be honest, don't care too much about the HP gain (it's an sv6). I want the increased Downlow torque, better fuel economy, and a sick induction sound... Will I get this?

Yes I already have a full exhaust with extractors.
Thanks in advance :)

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Hi all. I'll keep it short

I drive a 2010 Sidi sv6 ute, after searching the forums why do some people hate on the ss inductions growler CAI? What's wrong with them? Surely it's better than stock? Is there anything better (that doesn't require tuning)?

I'll be honest, don't care too much about the HP gain (it's an sv6). I want the increased Downlow torque, better fuel economy, and a sick induction sound... Will I get this?

Yes I already have a full exhaust with extractors.
Thanks in advance :)

They do sound pretty good........ had one on my old VZ V6.... does help torque

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
There are just better on the market for a comparable if not lesser price.

Atleast from a V8 perspective, the SS Inductions and Growler stuff is just not as good as say the VCM, DUS and GMM otrs.

SS Inductions is also reknown as SS Reductions because in the past theyre product have been fairly craptastic and expensive in comparison.

As far as V6s go, Im not to sure whats on the market, but I know MACE do a shitload of stuff for the V6, personally I would shop around as if youre after a little more punch and some intake noise, most other aftermarket intakes which use a housed pod will give you the same result and probably for less.

Just looking at the Mace website, they do an OTR for less than the Growler pod. Shop around see what you can get second hand maybe.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Second hand the SS Inductions Growler (also used and branded by Walkinshaw) can be picked up for around $150. Which makes them good value for money. But considering they're similarly priced to the OTR from VCM, ORSSOM, DUS etc brand new they're not worth considering.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Just re-reading... You say you already have a full exhaust which means unless you're driving around with a Check Engine light on, you've already had a tune. In which case if you change the intake you would do best to get a tune tweak. It should be a fraction of the cost of the first tune. It won't hurt it to not have it done but would be best.

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Thanks guys. I well see if I can find 1 used and cheap and see if mace does anything for the sv6. I didn't want to go OTR because they need a tune and in my small town (Hervey Bay qld) a tune will set me back $1000+

Bolt on is a must

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Thanks guys. I well see if I can find 1 used and cheap and see if mace does anything for the sv6. I didn't want to go OTR because they need a tune and in my small town (Hervey Bay qld) a tune will set me back $1000+

Bolt on is a must

Yeah thought as much.

There are HEAPS of housed pod setups.

I wont comment on the quality of the Growler one, but Ive seen lots of them float by a Facebook page called Club VE - Buy Sell Swap - its V6 heaven there. Just dont expect much from the page itself, mostly populated by retards with to much plastidip.

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Legend. Thank you! If I was to go OTR and get a tune what would be the best?

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Thanks anyway. You've been a big help