Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Growler or AIRHAMMER

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
i know there is a lot of threads about this but there not very clear which one is better then the other i have a 2012 SIDI VE Series 2 Ute and im after a CAI which one is better Growler or AIRHAMMER

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
The third from the top sticky called "ve frequently asked questions" has all the info you want.

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
those threads are a few years old i like some more up to date info

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
I wouldn't worry about CAI. Just get yourself a k&n air filter and away you go. It's cheaper and has the same affect.

The problem I have with otr CAI is water getting in there.....plus it's a lot of money for a tiny 8kw.

My 2 cents. :)

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
can still go otr, orrsom, and tune from MACE, i think they make a vcm one for the six as well

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
I wouldn't worry about CAI. Just get yourself a k&n air filter and away you go. It's cheaper and has the same affect.

The problem I have with otr CAI is water getting in there.....plus it's a lot of money for a tiny 8kw.

My 2 cents. :)
dont have a problem with water in my vcm otr, (unless you go through real deep puddles-lol)

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Don't waste your money.
If your lucky you'll gain 2kw.
Most of it's placebo effect, you think your making more power, cause of the induction noise you get.
The big winner is the people selling these kits

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Was watching might car mods before and they used the same car with pod, stock and air box behind the head light and no real difference but when they took the light out and stuck a pod in front of the car they gained 1.6kw.. Stick with stock I'd say going by there dyno results..

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
i think i lost power with the growler, sounded great though. Airhammer? may as well buy yourself a VS V6 intake pipe and replace your standard one, that'll be your cheap airhammer upgrade. I have myself a VCM OTR, got it second hand cheap and sounds amazing, feels stronger from mid to high and didn't throw a CEL. To my understanding the ORRSOM otr throws codes.

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
Standard VE air intakes are quite notorious from a performance aspect, with genuine gains to be had from a number of aftermarket systems around. Some are better then others though. The is reflected by the fact that around 8rwkw was pick up just by keeping the top half of the airbox assembly ajar on the dyno, not a long term solution though :p

For measurable results on the performance impact on an upgraded intake and how people can also try and enhance their factory units, check out the link below. Yes am aware that it's of a VL Commodore but the principles applied are still applicable

AutoSpeed - Modifying the VL Turbo Intake

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
haha yer i pick it up tomorrow at 4pm :) from city crash repairs in townsville

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Oh really? Well guess where im gonna drive past tonight :p

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
haha yer im also going to a place called Woolley Fleece at 4.30 for my custom car seat covers XD

Last edited:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
If it was me I'd go the MACE/VCM OTR, looks fantastic and there are definitely gains to be had for a 6.