Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GRRRR... New Thunder SS, Clutch / Gearbox Issues

N

nickbalcombe99

Dear All,

Bought home a brand new SS Thunder today. Took it for a drive on Saturday and complained to the dealership about a whining noise. They said they'd have a look at it...

Did about 140 klms today (showing everyone!) when I picked it up and the noise is A LOT worse, and the car is stumbling when I take off in first. Kind of bunny hopping and the making this really suspicious noise before being fine from 2 grand up. It's almost as though the clutch is slipping, but it is fine for any other gear change. Engine sounds fine, it is definitely a gearbox / clutch issue...

So, my question is - what could it be, and if repaired would there be any permanent damage? Maybe excessive clutch wear?

I also have a tick tick tick in the engine somewhere, does anyone know if this is normal? What have other 6.0L owners found?

What a farrrrken bastard of a thing to happen. I'm taking it straight into the dealer tomorrow morning to yell at them. :ranting: :ranting:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The bastards will probably give me a Barina for a few days. Not happy..

Cheers,

Nick

N

nickbalcombe99

Ps

PS - Also had a warning come up on the dash - "Immobiliser Failure". Turned car off and on, and it was gone. NOT BLOODY HAPPY. Will let you know how I go with the dealer.

bodella

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 Thunder M6
That sucks mate, I have noticed some gearbox noises in my SS thunder especially at low speed. I think it is a lubrication issue in the gearbox and it has happened to a lot of people in these utes. Holden just says it is nothing to worry about! Typical!!!!!! But the bunny hopping and whining, that does not seem good. Like you said, take it straight back to the dealer and tell them you want it fixed, no questions asked. When you go out an purchase a 40k plus car you expect it to be perfect. Good luck!!!!!

:bang:

N

nickbalcombe99

Agree!

Yeah I went in first thing this morning and got very grumpy with the salesman. Next thing you know I'm taking a technician for a test drive, and he was concerned about the noise also.

I pick it up this afternoon, they said they'd pull it apart and have a good look. They have also given me a car to drive around. A sh*tbox, I might add.

That lubrication issue you mentioned - is that something that will cause excessive wear, or will it improve over time? I get a high pitched whine through the range but it sounds normal, and kinda wicked!

But you're right this kinda thing should NOT happen with a new car. :ranting:

Just praying it's not an ongoing thing... :bow:

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Yeah I went in first thing this morning and got very grumpy with the salesman. Next thing you know I'm taking a technician for a test drive, and he was concerned about the noise also.

I pick it up this afternoon, they said they'd pull it apart and have a good look. They have also given me a car to drive around. A sh*tbox, I might add.

That lubrication issue you mentioned - is that something that will cause excessive wear, or will it improve over time? I get a high pitched whine through the range but it sounds normal, and kinda wicked!

But you're right this kinda thing should NOT happen with a new car. :ranting:

Just praying it's not an ongoing thing... :bow:

If Holden put a half decent clutch in their cars to begin with none of us would
have any problems. I had mine replaced 2 months after getting my car, granted
it was second hand, but a month later it was back at the dealership again to have
it pulled out an realigned again.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
What luck, ye a friend had a problem with the clutch in his SS Thunder, also his engine was idling very rough (brand new car), dont know what he did about that.

mic-vz-ss -6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 litre
I have an SS 6l manual . It has 2300klm on it now and i have noticed a ticking noise from about the 1000k mark . Not too loud , but enough to notice it . I had a Gen 3 replaced due to noise issues a few years ago , but this isn't as bad ( yet ) . I also have a bit of a problem in regards to when the motors cold in that it also has a bit of a bunny hop when first taking off ( occasionally , not always ) . Also have had the immobilisor fault come up once , which went and hasn't returned . In regards to the high pitched whine , mine also had this and it did sound good , but i have found it has gone since i did the second hole mod in the airbox so maybe the whine is an intake noise . Cheers .

vxexec350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder/VX Exec LS1/VN Berlina 5.0
My SS Thunder Ute has no issues after 6300km. I put the MCAI in as soon as I bought it so have never noticed a whistle. My clutch is fine as is the clutch in my Gen111 which has done over 130,000km.

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
I've got very similar noises to you nickbalcombe99 but without the bunny hopping!

The gearbox whine is nothing to worry about... My 5spd VS I had before my thunder had the same noise.

As for the noise at low speed I can relate to that... Sounds like there's a bad vibration or something in the gearbox at low revs. Spoke to the dealer at 3000kms service but as usual they couldn't hear anything. I'm yet to get it looked at again.

I've also had the immobiliser fault once at about 1000kms but nothing since.

I have also heard the ticking noise you're refering to but just assumed it was the injectors firing away.

N

nickbalcombe99

Yeah I'm hoping it's all fine - the clutch is slowly starting to loosen up a little. Noise is still there, but no bunny hopping. Just hit 700 klms!

The tick is fairly noticeable and may or may not be a problem but if everyone else has it then it's fair to assume it's safe!

Bout to drive from Hobart to Byron Bay so all going to plan it should be fine. Beautiful car to drive on the highway.

Thanks all,

Nick