Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GTA 4 Help

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
i7 920, 6gb ddr3, gtx260+, runs silky smooth! :)

If you want to see decent fps in this game, you need a quadcore, the gpu doesn't matter so much, as long as it's above about the 8800x mark.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
i7 920, 6gb ddr3, gtx260+, runs silky smooth! :)

If you want to see decent fps in this game, you need a quadcore, the gpu doesn't matter so much, as long as it's above about the 8800x mark.

STFU you son of a biatch... :p

Yeah... going to need to look into a quad some time in august when my bonus comes through.

Till then, I've found that if I turns shadows off I average about 30fps which drops now and then driving...

But very playable... so it'll do! :p

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
do the grpahics test in the game options benchmark or something like that, ive heard gta4 runs better on its own harddrive casue its so huge..

lol i bet the rego pissed u off it took me 2 days to relise you had to join windlows live with social club via socail club then login to live to play online.

both copys i have of my pcs run fine with med graphics, you jut gotta change settings to see whats best.. but as i said above having its own HD might help.. im keen to try it oneday soon when i get another external drive..

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah the registration was annoying as hell...

I already have 3 HHD's im my computer so I'm not getting another one just for this... lol...

One HHD is just OS and admin style programs and applications, HHD number 2 is basically CS4 Suite and Games.... nothing else and this is where GTA is found and the thrid HHD is just saved files...

I've found some hack that will run GTA at the res I want but trick it into only running reflections and shadows, etc at a lower resolution... also trick it into thinking I have less memory in my gfx card so tightens up and uses resources more intelligently...

I will give that a bash tonight and post if it didn't work... will not post if it works as i will be playing... :p

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
turn your multisampling down, should improve fps, only difference is that the images wont be as sharp. you will find this in your graphics card properties. There is usually 2 ways to change multisampling, graphics card properties and the actual game properties, the game properties take priority of the graphics card properties when it comes to multisampling, so make sure its not up to high.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
oh and if you do decide to go quad core, make sure you have your motherboard has a fast fsb, otherwise upgrading your cpu wont make much difference. Get the fastest ram for your technology, say if you have ddr2 go 1066mhz ram.

Basically you can get a new processor, but it wont make much of a difference if other parts of your pc are still bottlenecking it.

and another thing, most games dont use more than 2 cores, so make sure you get a quad with the same clock speed as your old cpu or better, otherwise other games that only use 2 cores, are going to run worse than they did before you upgraded your cpu.

Hope all this helps

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Yeah... would be looking at a q6600 so still running @ 2.4Ghz.

The GTA multi sampling setting are weird... can't control AA directly...

So i think i will just force the card to go 2x for GTA 4... so how it goes...

Going to have a fiddle tonight... as i said... its very playable with shadows just plain turned off... just it takes away from the effect a bit...

Thanks for the input guys...

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
honestly i have a q6600 and i hate it lol. its too slow. if i had the money id have an i7 lol, but this will have to do for a few years.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah... I'm aiming for "minimum satisfactory result" not so much as "state of the art solution"...

Can't even start to justify a i7... :p