Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GTA 4 Help

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
It's CPU. GTA4 spreads out across 5/8 virtual cores on my i7, each one quite active.

So it's not processor speed, it's the amount of cores that help the game along.

I've benchmarked this myself, trust me. :)

I say again, I am playing it on the SAME CPU, I have finished it, only mildly overclocked. (It is running at 2.8GHZ)

O.k. Jetstarts here is what you could do, mildly overclock your CPU like I have and see if it runs fine, then you will know.

I can give you the voltage and front side bus settings tonight if your intrested.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
I say again, I am playing it on the SAME CPU, I have finished it, only mildly overclocked. (It is running at 2.8GHZ)

O.k. Jetstarts here is what you could do, mildly overclock your CPU like I have and see if it runs fine, then you will know.

I can give you the voltage and front side bus settings tonight if your intrested.

every single cpu is different. while your voltage and fsb may run, it might not be stable purely from this fact. ive got my q6600 at 3.2ghz atm (currently on the way to 3.6, just taking it step by step). even if you have the same motherboard as me and cpu, my voltage and fsb may not run on your pc.

you could give it a try though.

but as i said in an earlier post his cpu may be fine to run it yet maybe his motherboard could be bottlenecking the cpu.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I don't think my motherboard allows overclocking... i was reading up on it the other day... the max cpu i can use is one that runs @ 2.4ghz...

Maybe thats my issue... my motherboard?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
im running it on vista 64 bit. its still crap and i have decent specs. it should run fine but no updates fix it yet. it was bearable, but the new patch made it worse. i believe its something to do with the consoles having different number of CUs compared to most PCs, which is causing problems.
also, network play sucks. microsoft ****ed that up big time. i can never connect to a game because it doesnt like my network setup. any other game works fine for network play, just not the windows live games.

cdtoaster

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
my brother also have a E6600 2.4ghz dual core, he only has a X1950Pro and 2gb ram but it runs well so yeah im with the people who say its not the cpu

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
every single cpu is different. while your voltage and fsb may run, it might not be stable purely from this fact. ive got my q6600 at 3.2ghz atm (currently on the way to 3.6, just taking it step by step). even if you have the same motherboard as me and cpu, my voltage and fsb may not run on your pc.

you could give it a try though.

but as i said in an earlier post his cpu may be fine to run it yet maybe his motherboard could be bottlenecking the cpu.

Thats a bit of a stretch, each cpu should be able to at least go as quick as mine, it is far more dependent on the motherboard. The Intel site has the voltage capabilities listed for each processor and mine is well under that and running without issue for a week or so.

Jesterarts, can you run 3Dmark 06 on your PC and give us your score?

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
I don't think my motherboard allows overclocking... i was reading up on it the other day... the max cpu i can use is one that runs @ 2.4ghz...

Maybe thats my issue... my motherboard?

well yeah what motherboard is it?

actually can you give us a run down of all your specs?

from what we know atm you have a

cpu: E6600

gfx: 9800gtx 512mb

ram: 4gb

if you can tell us what motherboard you have, more info on your ram, and what OS you are running, and system architecture (32bit or 64bit)

i still think it is cpu, from forums it seems gta4 is a very cpu intensive game so it should solve the problem. but if your fsb is too low on your mb it will bottleneck it.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Thats a bit of a stretch, each cpu should be able to at least go as quick as mine, it is far more dependent on the motherboard. The Intel site has the voltage capabilities listed for each processor and mine is well under that and running without issue for a week or so.

Jesterarts, can you run 3Dmark 06 on your PC and give us your score?

this is definately true, each overclock will be different on different motherboards, but each cpu, if you have a exactly identical pcs you might be able to get 3.4ghz out of one stable, but the other pc might be able to get 3.6 ghz stable.

and yeh as you said, jesterarts if you can get a copy of 3dmark06 or 3dmark vantage give that a go and post up what mark you get

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ok... no idea on the motherboard atm... I will get back to you guys on that tonight...

The Ram is DDR2 800Mhz 2x 2GB sticks.

Running Vista :( 32 bit.

Downloading Benchmark now and will run tonight...