Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GTS Coolant Replacement

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
It was a joke dude.
I will edit the original for better clarity!

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Removed the undertray (sometimes called an air deflector) last Wednesday. A bit fiddly, because you also have to remove three of the screws from the wheelhouse liner on both sides of the car. You can just remove top two screws on each side without removing the wheels, if you have a right angle screw driver. Four bolts and five (or six) screws and the undertray was able to be removed exposing the drain plug. Drained the coolant, filled up with water (Melbourne has great quality tap water), ran the engine with heater on until coolant warm, drained and repeated a number of times. Each drain only seemed to be around 5-6 litres. Finally topped up with five litres of concentrated coolant, which filled the radiator, and another 0.5 litres in the coolant recovery reservoir. Given that the remaining liquid in the cooling system should have been close to pure water, this would have given the recommended 50:50 coolant/water mixture.

Started to replace the undertray, but couldn't remember exactly how the ends connected to the wheelhouse liner, and since it was getting dark and I couldn't see what I was doing, decided to leave things until Thursday. New day, after reading the service manual, decided not to drain the supercharger coolant because that would have required removing the front bumper as well as other items. Left for another day when I have more energy. Topped up the supercharger coolant. Replaced the undertray, generally using the service manual sequence (the number of screws were different for the HSV), and everything has been fine since. Had expected some drop in the coolant reservoir level as any air in the system was expelled, but nothing as yet. Plan to take it for a longer drive tomorrow, given the further relaxation in the (unnecessary) Melbourne restrictions.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
ran the engine with heater on until coolant warm, drained and repeated a number of times. Each drain only seemed to be around 5-6 litres.
Just as an FYI you dont need to run the heater, as in the VF it has a constant flow through the core.
Draining 5-6 litres ecah drain is exactly right, nothing to worry about. Sounds like a job well done.
How did you bleed out the air?

While the deflector is off, think about drilling a hole for future coolant drains!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I love that everyone says run the heater! The VF and VE have HVACs that allow the hot water from the engine to continue to circulate when the heater is off. There is no heater tap!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
.....How did you bleed out the air? .....

Happens automatically- any trapped air goes into the coolant recovery reservoir - just need to top that up over the next couple of days until the level stabilizes. Haven't had to do any special bleeding on any of my v8s - VS Calais, VS Clubsport, VX GTS, and now VF.

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
Happens automatically- any trapped air goes into the coolant recovery reservoir - just need to top that up over the next couple of days until the level stabilizes. Haven't had to do any special bleeding on any of my v8s - VS Calais, VS Clubsport, VX GTS, and now VF.
Mate I was just wondering if you ever did change the coolant in the supercharger as I need to do this to mine, cheers.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, I just had to top up the level a little bit. But you have jogged my memory, probably should look into what's required to change it.
First priority on the LSA supercharger was to replace the rattling spring isolator before it caused any damage (since done).

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
No, I just had to top up the level a little bit. But you have jogged my memory, probably should look into what's required to change it.
First priority on the LSA supercharger was to replace the rattling spring isolator before it caused any damage (since done).
How did you know it needed topping up, there’s no visual other than the little fill cap right in front of the supercharger lid.
Changing the coolant looks like a real Pia. Well not changing it, but bleeding it. I am now thinking of going down the reservoir route just for ease of maintenance moving forward.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, that the level inspection point. Sounds like you have a copy of the Holden VF Service manual (starting at page 5440). As you say it looks like a PITA which is why I never went ahead with it at the time.