Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GTS tail lights on VE

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
yes but the electrics etc have to go somewhere.
The lights are going to be in the same place. The wiring however, will be different. As Tommo has eluded to.

Looking at the photo, it would appear at least, that the rear bumper 'stops' half way up the light. which means you need a bit for the top where the normal lights go (or I guess you could disconnect the normal lights, rough 'em up and spray over the top??).
There is a plastic capping as i've spoken about which goes around the top of the light, and down to where the bumper sits. This capping fills out most of the space the old lights went into.

I wonder whether you'd need the inside plastic bit for the boot as well? I mean given the rear of the light cluster is in a different position - not sure if the plastic lining in the boot is common.
There are quite large recesses behind the boot felt which would more than accomodate any wiring needed.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
yes but the electrics etc have to go somewhere. I doubt that the regular chassis will have the HSV position holes cut out, and similarly I wouldn't expect the HSV's to have holes in the regular light positions. There's probably be some kind of pattern there though. I just think having holes in the metal (for the cabling to go through, and bulb swaps) that aren't then filled with the light cluster would lead to leaks etc - and therefore I doubt it is done that way.
Looking at the photo, it would appear at least, that the rear bumper 'stops' half way up the light. which means you need a bit for the top where the normal lights go (or I guess you could disconnect the normal lights, rough 'em up and spray over the top??).

I wonder whether you'd need the inside plastic bit for the boot as well? I mean given the rear of the light cluster is in a different position - not sure if the plastic lining in the boot is common.

The vehicle bodies are the exact same. VE's are shipped to HSV with the standard tail lights before having the HSV tail lights fitted with the body kit and the 'caps' where the normal lights go.

They do not exactly break out the grinder at the HSV factory to fit the tail lights. Its all just bolt on and if you get the whole lot (rear bumper, light, 'cap' and tail light loom) then there will be no issues fitting it.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The vehicle bodies are the exact same. VE's are shipped to HSV with the standard tail lights before having the HSV tail lights fitted with the body kit and the 'caps' where the normal lights go.

They do not exactly break out the grinder at the HSV factory to fit the tail lights. Its all just bolt on and if you get the whole lot (rear bumper, light, 'cap' and tail light loom) then there will be no issues fitting it.

Yup yup. They go on a truck with the front guards fitted as HSV items, front and rear bumpers are in black primer, and all 4 wheels have space savers on them. Then they get trucked to Clayton where a bunch of indians do the changeover:whistling

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Don't know why you'd want to change... Personally I reckon the HSV tailights look so after thought, after market.... remind me of the days when idiots used to put LH torana tailights into volkswagen beetles. Bad enough owning a beetle in the first place, let alone spending tiime and money on it!!!!! hahaha!