Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guard Rolling Issue

JoelCassar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I have ordered 20x10 rear wheels and my ve sv6 is lowered on king springs sssl all round...

I have a strong feeling I'm going to need to not only stretch tyres to get them to fit, but roll my rear guards at least as well...

The problem is... one of my rear guards has had repairs done and my panel beater who repaired the guard recommends I don't get it rolled as it'll ruin the paint and then I'll be up for more $$$.

I have no idea how to overcome this problem, so if any one knows a solution please let me know!
Thanks in advance!

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Well guard rolling is risky at the best of times. Id be surprised if you could find anyone that would guarantee your paint wont crack.

I did my own on my vz. I heated it up with a heatgun which was enough to let the factory paint stretch with the metal. I have a proper roller that bolts onto the hub. But From the factory there isn't a whole lot of film build.

If your panel beater has put a skim of filler of the arch that won't stretch with the metal. No way. And even if there's no filler on it add a few more layers of material, say some high fill primer and the risk is increased.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yeah I'm thinking there's bog, in which case you have 1 option, respray and re-bog after.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Will also depend on how aggressive the roll is.

On regular paint, youll find most reputable places will guarantee the work. I had The Wheel Deal fork out over my rear guard that they munted.

However, if its been bogged/had some filler, they wont be able to pull the guard. Theyll have to be very very gentle and make sure they arent putting to much pressure on the actual arch and just the lip, its going to be risky and I suspect anyone who touches the job will say at the start, they arent responsible for any damage.

As soon as that guard gets pushed out, the fill with crack. It just doesnt bend the same way the metal will.

JoelCassar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
So is there no other solution?
What about cutting instead of rolling?
I really don't have the money to respray etc at the moment... :(

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

Cutting the lip?

You run the risk of it being a little messy and leaving edges for the tyre to grind on depending on the fitment. It would need to be finished off very well.

I would suggest talking with a panel shop who does a fair bit of modification or even a place that does a shitload of guard rolls and see if they feel confident/can offer a soluation.

JoelCassar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Cutting the lip?

You run the risk of it being a little messy and leaving edges for the tyre to grind on depending on the fitment. It would need to be finished off very well.

I would suggest talking with a panel shop who does a fair bit of modification or even a place that does a shitload of guard rolls and see if they feel confident/can offer a soluation.

Hmmm, alright I'll have to call up a few places..
Cheers !

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

put the wheels in the shed until you have the money to do it right then.

BOOSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ACCLAIM S2 WAGON
I wrap a rag round my dolly when i get worried about damaging the paint works for me and since it's not factory paint i would not worry too much it's only paint.