Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guard Rolling

JPSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6
Hey guys, new to the forum but i have been browsing here for a while. Story is i got a set of 20inch wheels for my VE SSV 8.5's on the front and 9.5's on the rear. anyway the rears are scrubbing on the guards. I rang the guy and explained i wasn't real happy. he said try Sydney Guard Rolling. has anyone dealt with him before and does it crack the paint.
Thanks

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Most wheel places can roll the guards for you.. Why did you go 9.5 on the rear?

JPSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6
yeah just measured the offset. the wheel is stamped ET45 but when i measured and worked it out the wheel is actually only 35mm. 10mm error. I'll contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Go back to where you got them fitted and see what they say?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
yeah just measured the offset. the wheel is stamped ET45 but when i measured and worked it out the wheel is actually only 35mm. 10mm error. I'll contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

1, If you purchased wheels made by a reputable wheel manufacturer it is unlikely that the wheel is stamped with the wrong offset number.

With the wheel off the car measure the backspace on the inside of the wheel. Measure from the centre mounting pad face back to the outer edge of the rim.
For a 9.5 inch rim..........
If a 35 offset, it will measure approx 169 mm or 6.6 inches
If a 45 offset, it will measure approx 179 mm or 7 inches

Even if the 9.5 inch wheel is +45mm offset as stamped it is still possible that with sufficient suspension travel the face of the tyre will rub the guard lip if you are running 275 wide tyres.

2. IF you were purchasing 45 offset rears and the wheels are in fact 35 offset the retailer has an obligation to take the wheels back and replace them with what you were told you were buying - ie the correct product. Clearly a 35 offset wheel stamped 45 and then sold as 45 offset is the equivalent of a faulty product.

3. If you are going to get the guards rolled do not use any cowboy with a rolling machine that says he can do it for you. Sydney Guard Rolling has a good reputation and you will not have to worry about the guy cracking your paint or otherwise damaging your car.

JPSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6
Thanks for the info. I remeasured and they are definitely wrong offset. It must be a one off as the manufacturer said they have sold hundreds of sets for ve comm and never had any complaints. They said they are going to replace them.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey thanks for the heads up on Sydney Guard Rolling.

Kinda what i might be after