Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guard Rolling

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
You can buy guard rollers off ebay if you want to do your own

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
You can buy guard rollers off ebay if you want to do your own
Yeah there on sale now $99.90 but wont be sent out till after 28/5/13 ordered one last night good to have one.You can get ones on ebay qicker but there $130+ 30 postage and one guy that wants $199??. I'm sick of my rear tyres rubbing every where i go so i though i would give it a go_Oh yeah with the money you save buy a heat gun too might save the paint cracking.Will have too see for myself if it works lol i'd rather crack my paint then pay some one too lol.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
^^^ The difference there is business insurance. If you stuff it, you have to pay for the respray.
Good point mate as for me il take the risk plus i like to do a bit of d.i.y. But the op might want to take what you said in to account.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Hey guys, new to the forum but i have been browsing here for a while. Story is i got a set of 20inch wheels for my VE SSV 8.5's on the front and 9.5's on the rear. anyway the rears are scrubbing on the guards. I rang the guy and explained i wasn't real happy. he said try Sydney Guard Rolling. has anyone dealt with him before and does it crack the paint.
Thanks

The things people do to stuff up their cars, you had 19's already why bother changing to 20's when it's going to be a headtruck for no gain except keep the coppers interested and the speed bump maintanance people in a job.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Just make sure if you do roll your guards on your own, use a heat gun to heat up the paint first to prevent any cracks.

Reaction score
Website
www.bkwheels.com.au
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I think the problem will most probably be your tyre's. If you were to run a 255/35/20 tyre you should be ok but i think you will most probably have a 275 making it wider and more likely to touch. Also how did you measure the offset. The measurement should be 45mm on the outer from the centre of the wheel.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Most wheel places can roll the guards for you.. Why did you go 9.5 on the rear?

Why not???

The HSVs run 20x9.5 on the rear with 275/30R20s and they fit perfect with no scrubing because there the correct offset which is 57P.

For 20x9.5 with 35P yes you need the gaurd rolled even if you go to a 245/35R20 on the rear (that's the HSV front tyre size) if your cars lowered n tucking tyre

The paint on VEs are prone to cracking when the guards ate rolled so pay a professional for the best results and always heat the gaurds before rolling, no matter who's doing it or what car it is.

-unknown-sss

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo vu 2002 15th Anniversary
Why not???

The HSVs run 20x9.5 on the rear with 275/30R20s and they fit perfect with no scrubing because there the correct offset which is 57P.

For 20x9.5 with 35P yes you need the gaurd rolled even if you go to a 245/35R20 on the rear (that's the HSV front tyre size) if your cars lowered n tucking tyre

The paint on VEs are prone to cracking when the guards ate rolled so pay a professional for the best results and always heat the gaurds before rolling, no matter who's doing it or what car it is.

Hi my name is John and I am a Guard roller from the South West Liverpool region.

I have been guard rolling Holden vehicles for many years and can identify that the rear lip design on the VE base model is different to the VE SS sedan.

The VE base model carries a dual skin metal lip that can be rolled without ripples.
The only problems that may arise is the T section where the rear bar meets up with the guard as that can kink in and tiny spot welds flaring up.

The VE SS Sedan/Ute has a split rear lip design which runs a dual lip metal that forms into one layer then back to a dual skin. This one layer sits directly in the centre of the guard that causes it to ripple.

Paint cracking is prone to all cars but really depends on whether the area has been repaired previously or resprayed.

Cars that have been resprayed carry High fill layers which crack opposed to peeling. Best way to determine if areas have been repaired is to run a fridge magnet or check the lips for missing spot welds or smoothed lip.

I am here to give out advice as I've seen soo many Commodores with rippled and cracked guards. I am in no way here to promote what I do.

I have been actively surfing this website for a long time and finally decided to join due to seeing this post.

I have an add up on Gumtree if you need to contact me or have questions on guard rolling.

0406321081 John