Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide on replacing front seatbelt?

velcrochicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Hey Guys

Anyone know of a guide on replacing the front Seatbelts? All I can find is the rear?
And where is the cheapest place to get new ones?

Thanks

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
It's very simple.
The lower side trim piece just clipp's off.
Then, There is 2 screws for the upper side trim piece, They are a torq screw's.

Once the trim is removed.
You will see a bracket, About mid way down the belt, 2 torq screw's.
Remove that.

Remove rear seat bottom, Just pull the 2 tab's.

Then you will need to remove the lower sill trim.
I think there is around 8-9 torq screw's.

Then down the bottom of the belt, You will see a big nut holding the seatblet retractor.
I think it's a 19mm from memory.
remove that.

Then from there, You just need to undo the upper seatbelt nut.
All done.

Re-fitting is the reversal of the above.

The above may be slightly off, As i have never done it before.
Just going off what i have seen during other pull apart's.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
I've just done this (drivers side was frayed beyond repair) and mine had side airbags. You can tell if yours does because you should have a sticker on side of the car saying Side Impact Protection, and another sticker in the drivers door recess). When i removed the 19mm nut at the bottom (behind the sill) holding the seatbelt retractor, there is also a side impact sensor bracket attached to the same nut! So when you remove the nut, you will also remove that sensor and it has a pin pushing against the sill, which would extend when removing nut/retractor...hence air bag might deploy (i don't know how it works - maybe its a G Force sensor?). To avoid that happening, using the above procedure, add step 1; disconnect the car battery, and leave the car for 30 mins before starting the job.

As always, It's simple once you've done it once. But it took me about 2 hours initially, going carefully because i didn't want to damage clips since car is old, and brittle plastic, and hard to get replacements these days. In the end i did damage one of the clips at bottom of the plastic 'corner casing'?! that goes under the seat, attaching to the long sill plastic. I also threaded 2 of the many screws holding the sill down. I used threadlock on them to fix that.

The seat belt kit (Seat Safe) came with loads of replacement screws. I didn't need to use them, except at the top where the replacement seatbelt design had a different top mount.

The original belt that i was replacing; all the nuts/screws came out easily using a short breaker bar/ratchet. No thread lock detected on the originals.