Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
14 years later this thread is still helping people like me. Many thanks to the OP. I just installed a VZ R8 wheel into my humble VYII Executive wagon. Yeah, I was nervous and for a second wondered what a VY airbag would taste like but it all went off without a hitch. Took about 30 minutes as predicted. The airbag clips unclipped with surprising ease, and thanks to the advice of a poster on here I went and bought a 30mm socket from Repco before I started and good that I did because I had nothing anywhere near as big as that in my set.

I chose to (get ready to roll your eyes) install a HSV centre badge as well. I bought one off eBay for about $40 delivered and it has three little prongs which I presumed so did the standard button so I got to work with two butter knives and after a small amount of damage to my air bag cover that little sucker popped right off...eventually and sure enough the three pronged HSV badge fit perfectly although a little loose so I lay a strip of electrical tape sticky side down across the holes and cut a tiny slit in the tape over the holes. That provided just enough extra material around the prongs that it took a bit of a push to get it to pierce the electrical tape and provide the right amount of extra friction to hold it in place nicely. If doing this on a nice air bag that you care a lot about I'd suggest protecting the bag against the flats of the knives with some cloth or heavy tape or something. It was unnecessary that I left a few marks. Any who...I'm happy. Wheel installed and ready for a test drive.

I even stood outside the car when turning the ignition again for the first time just in case I copped an airbag pie for lunch. One small thing I notice is the horn only works well on the right hand side. The left hand side - no go unless I really mash down on it. I can live with that. Oh and the clock spring insisted on showing a little bit of white past the window that supposed to be all green, I'd say it's 90% green and 10% white but no matter how much I moved it to the right so the window was all green as soon as I pushed the wheel back onto the spline all the way home it shifted a smidge to the right causing some white to appear. Should have taken a photo of it but I did take some photos to show the HSV badge prongs and the end result.

I'm only doing small things to this car that are cheap and good bang for buck - such as a $250 Berlina interior, $400 for some LS8 mags with good tyres and now this, my schporty steering wheel which I picked up for only $200 (which I believe is a real bargain!).

Pics...

R8-wheel (4).jpg

R8-wheel (5).jpg

R8-wheel (1).jpg

R8-wheel (2).jpg

Mickem

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais
Just take a lead off the battery that's it simple

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Yo... So back to reviving an old thread.. wanted to know what torque setting to tighten the wheel bolt when re-installing the wheel?