Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Any idea if the VY-VZ wheel will fit into a VT-VX?

I take its the same sort of procedure to take out a VT-VX wheel

I'm not sure about fitment, pretty sure they're different.
The wheels are different, removing the airbag will be different i would think. I never had to remove the wheel from my vt so i'm not 100% sure how they come out.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
I'm not sure about fitment, pretty sure they're different.
The wheels are different, removing the airbag will be different i would think. I never had to remove the wheel from my vt so i'm not 100% sure how they come out.

Yep im sure the wheels are different as the vt air bags have security screws behind it.

Just wondering if the splines are the same vt,vx,vy,vz?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
can someone give me close up picture of the yellow airbag wire, does it slide off or pull off?

S

Sorak

Thanks for a great guide!

I removed my VZ wheel to fit new spokes only to find that mine are molded rubber. Bugger!

Taking this as a good excuse, I bought a leather wheel off eBay, but the seller claims that the wheel only suits VY. I thought that VY and VZ wheels are interchangable?

Anyone know if this would be true or not?

Cheers.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
As per my above post, when taking of my steering wheel the steering wheel control wire got caught and broke.. i drew up a quick diagram on what happend... anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

• STEERING WHEEL PROBLEM.JPG
    STEERING WHEEL PROBLEM.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,155

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Goto your local Dick Smith store and ask for a 2-way nylon connector (Part Number P5102) for about $2.39. You can then replace the whole clips (both sides) with these. If you want you can also spray them a colour IF you want to :p

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
Can I also add that before disconnecting the air bag wiring that you press your brake pedal a few times to discharge any current left in the power system this could explain the stories of air bags going off!

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I eventually got my airbag off only first to discover that you need to drop the fuse panel to get better access to the rear clips.

The secound problem that I came accross is that I do not have a normal 30mm bolt and by looking at the images the 30mm is not factory so that steering wheel has come off before and the factory hex bolt has been replaced as you can see the outline of the hex bolt in the image.

So I can't get my steering wheel off. If I can not get the Hex socket from bunnings I will have to go to Holden to change my steering wheel.

I don't even know what size hex socket to even get. ?

This has been very disappointing for me.