Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I am having MASSIVE problems removing the airbag. I can see behind the wheel and I have been trying for an hour to remove it. Has anyone else had dificulties. When I get one clp release and then go onto another the the one I removed pops back in grrrrrr

No I had no trouble with removal of the vy one. Maybe make up two bent coat hangers like the stereo removal tool, so you can pop both sides at once? Just a thought, I just did as per this HOW-TO. Good luck.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I am having MASSIVE problems removing the airbag. I can see behind the wheel and I have been trying for an hour to remove it. Has anyone else had dificulties. When I get one clp release and then go onto another the the one I removed pops back in grrrrrr

When you release one you need to pull the bag towards you to keep pressure on so the clip won't slip back in. Once you do one side it will sit out by itself, making it easier to do the other side.

Fr4u4ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy1TonUte
Just got finished doing this to my vy1tonner. Thanks heaps for the how to-
I wouldn't have even tried this without it.
Would have only taken me an hour to do (being very cautious) if I hadn't of made the mistake of putting the airbag on before replacing the steering wheel bolt lol :[
Haha had to do it all over again.

andyb749

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina
hey m8 ive removed the controls and put it all back together is there anything that you can buy to fill in the gaps where the controls where? and if so where & how much? cheers

great write up followed it and worked a charm

BETELGEUSE58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec wagon
Thanks

Thanks for that.

For the second time Pedders at Batemans Bay didn't straighten the wheel after an alignment.

The first time I took it back and made them do it. This time I did it myself and will never go there again.

Couldn't quite work out the clips part on the airbag.

Thank you

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
Hey thanks heaps for the how to.

Just a couple questions, when ur putting the airbag back on is there any reason why it would sit further out but still appear to work ok? I cant remember how the airbag used to sit as i haven't had the car long, is the airbag supposed to sit flush against the spokes?

Also now whenever i lock the car the horn chirps a few times, which is annoying. I went into the options menu and it hasn't been changed. it's still set to "indicators" for the door locking. What should i do?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The airbag should click into place when you push it back on and should not have a great gap between it and the spokes.
As for your other question.... I don't know.

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
The airbag should click into place when you push it back on and should not have a great gap between it and the spokes.
As for your other question.... I don't know.

Hey, thanks for that. :) I worked out the other problem with the horn chirping. i used the key to lock the door cos the battery was disconnected. so the key hole was in a different position than normal. i just played around with it till it seemed to be in the correct position, tried again and it stopped chirping :)

This job took me around 5 hours to do unfortunately, trying to find a 30mm socket that would fit a quarter inch drive. Searched the whole town. Ended up just buying a 1/2 inch ratchet. In the process i also locket myself out of the house :S. Then forgot to get the extender bar so had to go back for that too.

But other than that, actually removing the steering wheel was a piece of p*ss thanks to this write up :)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Hey, thanks for that. :) I worked out the other problem with the horn chirping. i used the key to lock the door cos the battery was disconnected. so the key hole was in a different position than normal. i just played around with it till it seemed to be in the correct position, tried again and it stopped chirping :)

This job took me around 5 hours to do unfortunately, trying to find a 30mm socket that would fit a quarter inch drive. Searched the whole town. Ended up just buying a 1/2 inch ratchet. In the process i also locket myself out of the house :S. Then forgot to get the extender bar so had to go back for that too.

But other than that, actually removing the steering wheel was a piece of p*ss thanks to this write up :)

lulz, sounds like quite an adventure you've had but at least you were successful in the end. :)