Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] Guide to VE V6 (SV6/Omega/Calais Exhaust) Upgrades

themightyariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 1
Every time anyone asks a question about the "best exhaust for a SV6" they get told to "buy a V8". Doesn't answer the question, does it? Here is a basic guide to exhaust options for you standard V6 up to an SV6.

1. Accept the fact that it is a V6 and NOT a V8. No matter how hard you try it will never sound like it. If you want it to sound like a V8 then buy one. However, you can make the Alloytec and the SIDI V6's sound like a half decent V6, so aim for that.

2. If you're a p plate driver who is just looking for a nicer, louder note to hold you over until your old enough to step up to the V8 stick with just mufflers. They provide a nice note, you can install them yourself and they do the same thing that a cat-back does (i.e. no performance increases). Plus it's relatively cheap, save your money for things you can swap to the V8 your planning to buy (wheels, suspension etc). If you really want it loud you can go with a set of headers and high flow cats. Be warned though, this results in high levels of drone + its pretty dear (looking at $1000+ for purchase and install for just the headers/cats) + the performance "gains" are minimal
Alright Muffler Brands:
- Hurricane (I recommend this one, most have a "whip" through the note as you reach 2500-3500 rpm which sounds ricer as, but Hurricane avoids this)
- Redback (Im not a massive fan however)
- Deflippo (designed for V8's, but a nice enough note)
Avoid:
- X-Force (cheaply made, questionable note, everyone has them)
- Lukey ( I personally hate the look, but there manufacture is also questionable)

3. If you're off your P's and are looking to see what you can do with the V6 engine, invest in a decent OTR CAI. There all virtually the same so just pick what you like. Then invest in some high flow headers (everyone goes with pacemakers but the tubing is not really long enough to provide a decent performance gain, theres only a few the actually have a decent long tube that requires the re-location of the cats, get in touch with your local exhaust shop for the best brands in this case). Attach a set of high flow cats, and finish of with a catback system. Unless your a qualified mechanic you'll need a shop to install, so your looking at up to $2500 for this option. Plus its loud. And drones like a female dog. be prepared for that.

4. ITS NOT A V8, IT'S NEVER GOING TO SOUND LIKE ONE. ACCEPT THAT A MOVE ON.

5. Keep the stock parts when you do change anything up, as stock vehicles (mechanically, especially SV6's) always trade in/sell for more. If you don't like the changes you can put the stock stuff back on and sell on the parts you don't like.

Hope this helps. I have a fair idea of what I'm talking about, but I am not a mechanic, so any additions would be appreciated. A lot of people have SV6's that are looking for a nicer sound, but get shut down with the "buy a V8" response so hopefully this helps. I personally am just waiting till I'm old enough to get an SS so I've gone with the option of just mufflers (no idle sound really, but no drone).

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Actually, my pacemaker headers removed a lot of drone (if not all of it), but that was with a stock SSV (manual, "real" quad tips, not the ones with a Y tube before the tips) catback. I kept the standard cats, not sure how it affects the sounds. The headers added a lot of mid range torque tho.

themightyariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 1
I can imagine they would, the mufflers from the SSV are designed for more exhaust flow but aim to restrict sound. Standard cats aren't as high glowing as aftermarket options, but they don't really restrict airflow too much. But less flow often results in less noise. I haven't been able to find a set up with a set of headers but no after market mufflers or cats, what's the sound like?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
It's actually great, check by yourself:

Sorry about the very short clip and at idle/revving only, I really need to ask a mate to make a video of it under load :)

Last edited by a moderator: