Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gulf Western Oil

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Im not a fan, ive seen a few engines badly sludged up using it so i put it on my avoid list, these were all diesels though so there petrol oil may be different.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
It's good oil. I used to run Nulon and flog my car quite a bit, the Nulon came out a bit worse for wear after only 5000. GW comes out good with a similar consistency that it went in with (with the Nulon it looked like it was starting to turn to sludge)

Always ever ran 20w-50 nothing else

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It's good oil. I used to run Nulon and flog my car quite a bit, the Nulon came out a bit worse for wear after only 5000. GW comes out good with a similar consistency that it went in with (with the Nulon it looked like it was starting to turn to sludge)

Always ever ran 20w-50 nothing else

true? in my old vs i used the nulon 10w40 up here in our heat and changed every 5000 with oil filter too and it still looked good, thats with normal driving and giving it a fair bit too, used it for 3 years no problems

NateMcNate

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Berlina Sedan
When I first owned my Nissan Patrol GUIII Diesel I tried 3 different oils (Castrol Magnatec, Penrite and Gulf Western) and found that GW was the best and Penrite was last on the list, I done alot of heavy offroad work in the beast and still looked clean at the next service so I kept using GW for the following 3 years, I haven't tried it in the commodore (service is due so I will give it a go) but I have nothing bad to say about them. GW has been used in the mining industry for years before it became available to the public so it definately stands the test of time.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
If the oil is coming out how it went in 5000km's ago, wouldnt that be a sign, its not doing it job of cleaning and lubing?
If its coming out sludgey, its obviously getting the impurities from the engine, and most likely needs flushing/changing earlier, but would be infact doing its job?