Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gumtree

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I have a couple of things I want to put up on Gumtree for sale. (low value, up to $100)
Being a newbie on Gumtree...

Any tips, ideas, thoughts from experienced sellers regarding postage, payment options, things to be wary of etc?
cheers

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
It's not like eBay. Payment options are not part of Gumtree. I only go COD.
I have posted once but not until the money was in my bank account.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Yeah I was looking at the info on their site, they recommend PayPal but I don't have a PayPal account, not sure if I really want to go through that process.

AussieXB, when you supplied your bank BSB and Account Number for payment from a buyer, did you also provide your account holder name?

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
Yeah I did. Would have used Paypal but he said he didn't have a PayPal account.
I had all his details and we spoke on the phone before I agreed.
I don't have anyone come to my house as I had a couple of people turn up & pretty sure they just wanted to have look around.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I
I have a couple of things I want to put up on Gumtree for sale. (low value, up to $100)
Being a newbie on Gumtree...

Any tips, ideas, thoughts from experienced sellers regarding postage, payment options, things to be wary of etc?
cheers

I have sold a few lower value items on gumtree and through a couple of vehicle sites like this one.

1. I don't have people come to the residence and it's better not to when it is avoidable.

2. For local sales I might arrange to meet at a convenient location like a shopping mall and get cash for the sale.
I also sold one or 2 items where I delivered it to the local buyer's house and they paid me cash on delivery.

3. I have done a few interstate sales. I estimate the postage costs to the nearest couple of dollars and tell them that is what postage they will need to pay me plus the item cost and send it off once I have payment from them. I ask for a Bank Cheque or a personal cheque or a post office money order. When the cheque clears I send off the goods. I have done a couple of local sales the same way and I have also found people will happily send you PO money orders or Bank Cheques to cover payment. If I over estimate the postage costs I send them a refund. Some people have sent me pre-paid post office bags for posting off the items to them.

4. When selling items never give people your bank account details so they can do direct funds transfers. You don't know who you are dealing with. If you think that's a good idea then I guess you are the person that would be OK with handing your bank account details to a criminal or fraudster.

5. I also don't use Paypal because I don't need to to sell anything and there are safe payment options open to me without bothering with Paypal.

You are the seller so you decide what payment type you will accept. If the buyer wants to argue with you then just tell them to meet your requirement or buy elsewhere.

Last edited:

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
I

4. 4. When selling items never give people your bank account details so they can do direct funds transfers. You don't know who you are dealing with. If you think that's a good idea then I guess you are the person that would be OK with handing your bank account details to a criminal or fraudster.

I should have clarified my last response. I only use a debit card for online and fund transfers.
Only put enough money in to cover the purchase and transfer the money out as soon as the payment goes in.

I have no issue with PayPal.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Check others adds for the same or similar items to get some ideas.
Just make sure you post lots of good pics as it saves questions.
Be as descriptive as you can and also a reason why you are selling.

Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline Wagon
Can be a great way to sell something fast but also a huge hassle dealing with morons.

Always put your original price higher than you want, everyone will come in with a lower offer.

Never have them come to your house, either meet them at there's and they pay delivery or I meet people at the local pub carpark so no one sees where I live and its a public place to do a deal lol

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have sold a heap of stuff on Gumtree, never had a problem.

I put in all my ads "phone or text only, I do not reply to emails"
this is because once you reply to emails, you end up with a lot of spam.
If people cannot read all the ad with the "no emails" bit then they are not completely interested in the item.

I have received money into my bank account lots of times no problems.
Have packaged and posted as well, as long as payment is in my bank first. I don't use paypal.

Even when people text me, I phone them back, and if they don't answer, then I leave a message, from there it is up to them.

As for people coming to the home, again, no problems, but I will not give out an address until I have spoken to them and set a time for them to arrive, because there ain't no way I'm sitting around waiting for the them.

Most people are good (90%) but sometimes you get farkquits, so you just have you suss them out.

I love the texts making offers like "what will you take for the item"
answer is "cash", gets them every time,
or "is that your your best price ?"
answer is " no, I am happy to accept higher"
At this point I phone them, and if they don't want to talk, then they are not serious.

I have an item on there at the moment for $100, received an email offering $50...Delete.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Agree strongly about not using PayPal, it is heavily slanted toward the buyer, a seller has almost no rites whatsoever, and they (PayPal) will keep 10% of your money for their trouble (don't even get me started on their currency conversion antics)!

Then if, for any reason, the buyer decides they want their money back, PayPal will freeze your whole account (not just that one transaction) and in 99% of cases they will resolve the claim in favour of the buyer, and if you don't have enough funds in your account to cover the refund, they won't hesitate to start legal action against you.

If you're a regular seller, and don't mind packaging/shipping, I'd suggest opening a dedicated bank account to minimise any risk when handing out the details, then simply transfer the funds into your regular account electronically before sending the item.

Andrew