Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] H.I.D`s into EBAY projector headlights.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hi, again lion enthusiasts, I have just done this mode on a VX S2 SS and its a neat install. the factory wires may differ in the VT, especially the series 1 as Holden swap wire colours as they do ey!! later I will get a set of OPT 7 branded H1 CREE LED`s ($150 a set).

But ATM I used Chinese ballasts and lamps seen all over ebay, I chose 4300k, as I like the white light as apposed to the blue tinge 8k 10k 12k etc.. and 35w as its the low beam and they should suffice.. 55w kits are widely available.
(note* 5000k and 6000k are also white)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H.I.D a quick guide.
Kelvin the K in the descriptions. Kelvin is the spectrum of the light, its crucial in nature to signal winter spring autumn/fall summer dormant/active veg/flower etc... to us here today its just a colour indicator, heres a good chart there are millions out there but this a accurate one as some say 4300k is yellow as some say 6000k is blue when it is 100% not the case.
kchart.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picking a good ballast in the cheap pool on ebay?, one thing I noted was that the type with the igniter built in tend to **** them shelves earlier than one would like, so my adv is get the type with the igniter box on the out cable, the one on the ballast, also the type with two leads (red black) instead of the hard mounted connectors seem to work longer.
like this...
1.0x0.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the type of ebay projector I am using. note the orange earth from relay to chassis with a 10amp inline fuse in PIC 2. this gets discarded in this mod and uses a remote location earth.
Holden Commodore VX VU Black Projector Headlights S SS Acclaim Executive Pair | eBay

IVX4500NB-LR-05.jpg

IVX4500NB-LR-12.jpg

In regards to the high beams, I`m using H1 phillips plus 100, Ive had for these for 1 year now, and have found that the combo of both the HID and the Philly seem to work well 2gether, I could have a 55w hid high beam kit for the HB`s but the hids need to warm up and also they dont like the on off cycle I bet, so sticking with plus 100 as I can see really well with them.
***NOTE I am not a butcher we will NOT be touching cutting the Holden factory wiring in the engine bay, however due to the H4 to H1 conversion, we will have to cut 2 wires in the cabin, they are on the indicator stalk, this, done neatly with solder and heat shrink will look neat and is hidden anyway. The only wires will be cutting in the engine bay is inside the ebay light housing (internal wire loom), and This guide is a neat way anyway so no probs there.
Tool list.

Good soldering iron and solder.
Heat shrink/heat gun.
Wire cutters/wire strippers.

VX projectors ebay chinese TYC brand

inside.

low beam.

White. (branchs of into 2 one goes to the H1 blade and the other to the relay. (earth)
Red/white. (12v)
red. interestinly this gets earthed to the H1`s housing.
Blue. goes to the relay. high beam power bridge wire.

High beam light gets 2 wires red and blue, red=earth (from relay) and blue = power.

Relay. the in out
White.
red/white.
Blue.
Orange. 10 amp fused. Earth for the Highs when switched here.

Method
*take the head light out if already installed, if not installed then good place it on a bench. it can be done incar but its more painful IMO.

In order to take the bumper off take out the two screws near the front wheel bracket holds the bumper on both sides of the car, then the three machined screws under the bonnet that hold it in, and finally the two vertical ones in the air dam behind the number plate. once off 13mm x3 bolts hold the headlight in.

Take off the white loom plug at the back of the projector it exposes all the wires, cut the wires about 2-3 inchs from the plug.

DSCF2004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cut the blue going to the relay/low beam area cut after the Y connection has taken place the other is the high beam direct current dont interfere with the off shoot, keep the high beam. this now gets sealed. (not used)

Next the red after the Y again that is going to the High beam. This gets cut and sealed.

Red/white trace, (this is 12v) cut and expose this.

White. this has a Y piece too but we only need the first 2-3 inchs of single wire cut this (this has the low beam H1 blade terminal) and expose.

My diagram which makes this mod near on fool proof.
Light%20housing..jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

HID%20SS.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok now cut these 2 wires (ABOVE) 3 inchs from the plug before exposing the feed them through the 2 holes in the rubber cover that the relay used, and now splice and solder your connections making sure to put the heat shrink on first.......... :blah blah: haha.

now install the globes.
you will notice the wires for the globes need to come through the rubber boot too, so...... you can either make two tiny holes like the others and cut and shut the wires, or to make lamp swaps easier in the future, cut a larger "FLAP" to feed them through. photos of mine.
DSCF2008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can now test the lights by dummy fitting they should power up but once HB is selected they cut out, that was the relays job to stop this behavior, but don`t sweat, its a easy mod.

take off the top shroud around the steering column by lifting it up, then take off the lower part x1 vertical Phillips head screw and x2 locator pegs hold this in.

on the back of the HB stalk is the larger connector unplug it and find the white and white/black wires these need to be bridged, cut, expose, solder, heat shrink, you can test prior to soldering but as long as you have the correct wires you will be sweet. the high beam and lows stay on~!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry don`t have any photos of that part.

factroy headlight plug for reference.
WHITE/BLCK (mines white/blue the same as the one below)
WHITE/BLUE
BLACK/WH
TAN
BROWN
LIGHT GREEN

Stereotype/

Last edited:

sixfootseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VZ SS & Black VE Calais
Hey - I put these exact headlights in my car - got them secondhand, and the orange earth is not connected to anything. What is it for?
My parks, indicators, highs and lows all work fine.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Just update guys don't bother with eBay HID kits they are trash, I'm currently running a quality set of LEDs.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hey - I put these exact headlights in my car - got them secondhand, and the orange earth is not connected to anything. What is it for?
My parks, indicators, highs and lows all work fine.
Better late than never, they mount to the top headlight bolt. (The one that holds the headlight to the car).