Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

H&M/Harrop full exhaust

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Hey guys! I have a Custom tune & vcm otr with the sound enhancer retrofitted on my vf ssv ls3.
In the first week of December will be upgrading to a full harrop exhaust such as 200 cell high flow cats, 1 7/8 4-1 long tube headers and 2.5 inch cat back with bimodals.
Im after more responsiveness and more torque all the way through the rev range inc bottom end.
What concerns me is will there be too much noise coming into the cabin due to the sound enhancer still fitted? &
will there be a fume smell too?
Due to the upgrades cats and headers i have the concerns about increased cabin noise and fume smell.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Hey guys! I have a Custom tune & vcm otr with the sound enhancer retrofitted on my vf ssv ls3.
In the first week of December will be upgrading to a full harrop exhaust such as 200 cell high flow cats, 1 7/8 4-1 long tube headers and 2.5 inch cat back with bimodals.
Im after more responsiveness and more torque all the way through the rev range inc bottom end.
What concerns me is will there be too much noise coming into the cabin due to the sound enhancer still fitted? &
Due to the upgrades cats and headers i have the concerns about increased cabin noise and fume smell.
Most people plug their sound enhancer with a OTR as you get enough sound from the intake, I'd just tell them to make sure it's plugged!

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan

The sound enhancer works off your intake and is a closed unit I.e. no fume smell in the cabin. The sound coming out of the MSE may get louder and deeper after fitting the VCM OTR. Mine did after fitting Rotofab intake but I have now removed the MSE completely.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
The sound enhancer works off your intake and is a closed unit I.e. no fume smell in the cabin. The sound coming out of the MSE may get louder and deeper after fitting the VCM OTR. Mine did after fitting Rotofab intake but I have now removed the MSE completely.
So considering i am upgrading to a full exhaust system wont there be more noise (louder) coming into the cabin through the sound enhancer? For instance the upgraded headers will be louder so im assuming all the extra noise will come through the MSE into the cabin or strictly just the slight induction noise from the OTR?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
So considering i am upgrading to a full exhaust system wont there be more noise (louder) coming into the cabin through the sound enhancer? For instance the upgraded headers will be louder so im assuming all the extra noise will come through the MSE into the cabin or strictly just the slight induction noise from the OTR?
Just the louder induction noise through the MSE. Of course you'll have more exhaust noise too. But that's nothing to do with the MSE.
I still have mine hooked up to my Roto-fab CAI. I really like the sound.
Get it hooked up. If you don't like it, it's quick and easy to blank it off.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Just the louder induction noise through the MSE. Of course you'll have more exhaust noise too. But that's nothing to do with the MSE.
I still have mine hooked up to my Roto-fab CAI. I really like the sound.
Get it hooked up. If you don't like it, it's quick and easy to blank it off.
I already have the MSE plumbed into the back of the VCM.
Because its retrofitted my mechanic has said that if i want the MSE removed then i would need a new VCM cause it would be too dificult to plug the hole in the back of the VCM and can only plug the hole in the firewall.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Has anyone else had the H&M/Harrop exhaust done with headers & cats?
Noticeable gains in both bottom end and midrange torque?
What other improvements can i expect to see?
Will be getting the retune too.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
By "too difficult," maybe your mechanic means "I CBF"? Pretty simple I'd say TBH.
You will get very noticible gains everywhere with those mods and a tune.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
By "too difficult," maybe your mechanic means "I CBF"? Pretty simple I'd say TBH.
You will get very noticible gains everywhere with those mods and a tune.

Yep! An alloy disc and some epoxy, all done...

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Ok guys! Will call the mechanic tommorrow to book the car in next week for a full Harrop/H&M exhaust system.
1 7/8 long tube headers.
200 cell cats
2.5 inch cat back with bimodals
Retune.
Cost will be around $4,000.
If anybody thinks its not worth the money/not much performance increase/too loud etc now is the time to let me know or forever hold your peace.
I currently have a custom tune and VCM otr only.
Wanting it to sound better but not too loud & wanting more resposiveness with some more bottom end and midrange torque. I understand i wont get massive gains.
Im hoping the bimodals will quieten down alot cause the mrs will kill me along with our new neighbours.
Soooo! Go for it? Or reconsider?