Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

H&R springs collapsed?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Probably not...I know you do 5 cars a day and I do that many in the first 2 hours, so I guess you see more than me....

If it were me, those coils would be going back and would advise customers the same...

So you would advise them to replace the coils even if they're are meant to be like that?
If it were me I would contact the manufacture and check with them before making a decision bases on no facts.
charlatan non licensed "mechanics" like you are what give the trade a bad name. Basing decisions off assumptions makes for bad workmanship.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So you would advise them to replace the coils even if they're are meant to be like that?
If it were me I would contact the manufacture and check with them before making a decision bases on no facts.
charlatan non licensed "mechanics" like you are what give the trade a bad name. Basing decisions off assumptions makes for bad workmanship.

Might be best you read your very first reply

Here it is and I quote with the highlighted part just for your reference

. It's not common to see bind on a spring but it's likely made like that to keep the springs trapped on rebound.

So what assumptions do one make from a person saying it is uncommon for it to occur and then say they are meant to be like that?

Qualifications have nothing to do with the issue at hand....The issue at hand is the spring is all bunched up at one end and well spaced at the other.....The only bad workmanship appears to be the way the coil has been made, rather than whether someone is qualified or not....

So jump off your high horse, read what you have posted and realise you are contradicting yourself, because if you think spring bind is acceptible, you need to go back to trade school and learn properly

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Might be best you read your very first reply

Here it is and I quote with the highlighted part just for your reference

. It's not common to see bind on a spring but it's likely made like that to keep the springs trapped on rebound.

So what assumptions do one make from a person saying it is uncommon for it to occur and then say they are meant to be like that?

Qualifications have nothing to do with the issue at hand....The issue at hand is the spring is all bunched up at one end and well spaced at the other.....The only bad workmanship appears to be the way the coil has been made, rather than whether someone is qualified or not....

So jump off your high horse, read what you have posted and realise you are contradicting yourself, because if you think spring bind is acceptible, you need to go back to trade school and learn properly

Like I said some coils are made like that for the purpose of maintaing spring pre-load while in rebound.
Do you have dyslexia?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Like I said some coils are made like that for the purpose of maintaing spring pre-load while in rebound.
Do you have dyslexia?

But it's not common because you didn't want it to be...But it is common because you now want it common. Can't you see that's what you have said

I have seen millions of springs and never seen them like that, unless they have failed....The ones that have failed have been returned to the manufacturer and replaced..

Do you have any understanding of how springs work...Any sort of binding isn't acceptable....If you think it is, best you go back to trade school, because who ever taught you didn't do a real good job...

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
If the ride height hasn't changed then that's how the would've been the whole time. It's not common to see bind on a spring but it's likely made like that to keep the springs trapped on rebound.
I think some times people should read an understand the whole paragraph written and not just use/edit one bit to prove their point and is out of context to what was originally written as a whole.

Anyways someone should get a room as always to be right is boring and not really useful to the OP or the probable issue with the springs, even if there isn't any with this brand and even if it looks really bad to other brands.

But if the ride height didn't change after a few kms then the OP should refer back to their spring seller and find out what is the real story/specs are to the product, quite simple really just a quick phone call. :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe we should go looking for the part before bitching about who's right and who's wrong or who does more cars a day, eh? None of what anybody has said makes it a fact when it's uninformed, doesn't get anybody anywhere.

Seems it's a German thing (H&R are German), looks like heaps of Bilstein springs that do this in Audis and BMWs when installed.

cacf7634c09702d2d54809399e354c67524f2e241d25340e9ca43bf4788dac7c.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Thanks for all of the replies. I contacted H & R and they got back to me pretty quickly. They are meant to look like that. I'm struggling to get my head around how a spring works when half of it is fully compressed. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
H&R are like that new....

1608172229371.png

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
nah they're stuffed better spend heaps of money replacing them.......

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'm struggling to get my head around how a spring works when half of it is fully compressed. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

There's not enough travel between the upper coils for it to do anything if it wasn't compressed, besides, compressing the spring doesn't change the spring rate so it would be the same even if all the coils were all evenly spaced (well, it would be for non progressive springs like these anyway).

Funnily enough this thread appeared this week talking about Koni FSDs, should have a look - MCA ProSport | Just Commodores

Last edited: