Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hackin it to bits

VP_WAGLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Wagon
hey just wonderin if anyone has done it before or might have any help with me through the process on whats needed to bag my vp wagon. ive been told its not worth it over and over but its just a project on the side now and when its finished im sure itll be sweet. i want to expose all the diff and wheels through the back just to see what im workin with but dont know where to start ? ive helped a few mates out with there mini trucks and you know a full chassis helps so i dont know where to start.im gonna end up body droppin it and so on, want to get it right down. but any one who has any help and knowledge, much appreciated. will have pics posted soon on the begining of LAYINLO

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
whoaa..
sounds like an engineering nightmare!!
haha, nah in all seriousness, ive never done it but ive have been looking into doing something similar to my VH sedan, the bag setup isnt that great a feat, if your just going with a kit that you can buy from a reputable mini truckin shop/maybe online, but id do some research on the parts and fittings because they normally throw cheap stuff in there, it just a matter of replacing the front struts with airbag struts, running lines etc, and the rears normally come with a mounting bracket to suit the bag, and they just go where the spring saddle is, weld the bracket in, bolt the bag in sort of thing.. run lines etc,

but with the exposed diff side of things, its more complicated, its not just a matter of cutting out your boot floor/shock mounts and all that structural steel, and welding in some water pipe! lol it has to be done with precision, brace it up before you start, try and leave as much of the mounts/ structure of the body intact, and buying some i think r/h/s? round hollow section? with a pretty thick wall, not just cheap stuff, and finding a way to mount it in there pretty strongly, pretty much thats what keeps your diff under the car, haha (i know its the trailing arms that 'holds' it in there but if theres no meat behind it, its just going to flex like a B****)

and the technicalities of the exposed diff altogether - im pretty sure it has to be sealed completely, to prevent deadly gasses coming in from the underside of the car, it would have to be done in some sort of plexiglass/or thick perspex.. which would probly be prone to scratching over time, - probly all in all not really feasable..

best bet, talk to an engineer before hacking into your car with the trusty grinder - thats if its going to be a road driven car, if its just for fun and not going to be street legal dont worry about it too much and go nuts lol!!

hope some of that helped out some how..
take it easy man n goodluck!

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
nothin like a truck

ive bagged my vy commo... its that easy its not funny... you cut off your bump stops where the spring was and bolt the bag into position for the rear... you cant hack it up cut the floor out or any of that garbage its a unibody not cab chassis... and whoever said they are a hassel has no idea what there talking about... they are one of the easiest cars ive bagged and its fully engineered to sit as low as it wants with the help of an autolevel kit my mate wired up himself ... there no need to pay 800 bucks for auto level... and as for the front its basically a strut change over with drilling a few holes and bolting in position... any other questions just ask

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
here are some pics

and this is the end result

Attachments

• l_3b328890d3fe4d58ba93710b513b5dc2.jpg
    l_3b328890d3fe4d58ba93710b513b5dc2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 389
  • l_66662911b9544c879826a7cf5ec8d1f0.jpg
    l_66662911b9544c879826a7cf5ec8d1f0.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 359

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I gotta ask, TUK20Z how the hell do you open your doors.

Door poppers. Just hope you don't run the battery flat :)